No16 Interesting Anglo Swiss Watch Co. Borgel
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: No16 Interesting Anglo Swiss Watch Co. Borgel

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

No16 Interesting Anglo Swiss Watch Co. Borgel

Evening All,

16th addition to the Borgel Family.... but, this will be the last addition for a while (need to do a few 'updated' threads on ones I have had repaired)....

Its certainly interesting and a little bit different.

The Anglo Swiss Watch Co.

The most remarkable success has attended the efforts of Mr. E. O. Gammeter, the proprietor of the Anglo-Swiss Watch Company since he commenced business at 4 Dalhousie Square, Calcutta, in the month of October 1909. Little more than seven years ago he occupied one small room, and being fortunately well equipped with necessary tools and up-to date appliances for the watchmaking trade, and possessing an indomitable spirit enabling him to overcome difficulties, he soon proved himself to be a man who was confident that his practical experience in his own line of business would eventually be widely recognized by the inhabitants of the city.

Four assistants provided all the help that Mr. Gammeter required in those days, but no better proof can be given of the immense expansion of the business than to point to the fact that employment is now found for about fifty Indian workmen and clerks and some ten European assistants.

All employees are of the highest ability in their respective grades, and expert Europeans supervise all work carried out on the premises, whether it be the oiling and cleaning of an ordinary timekeeper or the manufacture of a wheel or some other intricate piece of mechanism of the most delicately made watch. The watch-making department is fitted with up-to-date labour-saving appliances, and that important work, as well as the execution of repairs, is either personally executed or is controlled by highly qualified Europeans who hold diplomas for conspicuous skill in both theoretical and practical knowledge.

The company's claim to be the largest importers of watches and clocks in the East is not difficult to be understood when one sees the huge stock of all classes of goods which they always maintain, and is, further, made acquainted with the very wide area of the firm's activities.

As wholesale watchmakers and jewellers they supply more than five hundred European and Indian firms in the trade with their requirements, while their business connections extend throughout the whole of India, as well as in Burma, Ceylon, the Straits Settlements, Java, Sumatra, and even as far as British East Africa.

A special feature is made of the " Cavalry " lever wrist watch, which has made a coveted name for itself in the East as a reliable, durable, accurate, and
    distinctly serviceable timekeeper. These watches have recently been provided with " Tropical " non-oxidising silver cases, guaranteed not to become black, even in India, where the climate plays havoc with the best silver of the ordinary kind.
    The company are patentees and sole manufacturers of the " Novelty," "Simplex," and " Saddle Novelty " wrist watch bands.

The jewellery manufacturing department is a comparatively new venture, but it is already full of promise of success, and the most intricate and frail pieces of plain gold and gem-set jewellery (hitherto obtained from Birmingham or the Continent of Europe) is being manufactured by the company in their workshops by highly skilled Indian workmen under the supervision of a European lapidarist.

The company have been compelled to enlarge their accommodation from time to time, and although the floor space occupied by offices, show, and workrooms today is fully twelve times greater than in 1909, the need for further room is keenly felt by the proprietor, and it cannot be long before he will be under the necessity of meeting this deficiency.

The home offices and factory of the company are at Quartier de I'lndustric, Soleure, Switzerland.

Source: Bengal and Assam, Behar and Orissa. Their History, People, Commerce, and Industrial Resources - Compiled by Somerset Playne FRGS, assisted by J.W. Bond. Edited by Arnold Wright - 1917

Information taken from:

Silver Forums at 925-1000.com

The photos of the watch are after a quick clean... as it was very dirty!!!

As seen, the dial has a few hairlines. There are also chips tot he edges. I am going to suggest, these are the result of someone trying to 'get into' the watch by trying to lift the dial off (without unscrewing the case). The bezel was not sat in the correct location and not properly engaging with the threaded carry ring - a sign someone has removed the bezel from the top and just placed back on.

The Crystal (may or may not be original) is very thick glass and reminds we of another company with ties to India - west end watch co...

and next to a west end...

I have highlighted a section above, as it relates to this case...

Obviously, the Cavalry 'Tropical' 'Non-Oxidising' Silver case mentioned above, is the same as the watch I now have in my possession. I would assume this was one of their higher end watches.

The watch was sold as non running with the second hand missing.... they were correct about the second hand!

The watch was fully wound, but in the process of taking the hand off and cleaning the dial, the movement sprang into life... been running for 2 hours and keeping time. I dont plan to wind the watch until its properly serviced, but nice to see its alive and ticking!

a few pics of the dial...

As for the movement... Im not sure what it is... as usual, it looks familiar! but have not found a match for it yet... any takers on wanting to ID it? foolishly did not measure it before putting back in the carry ring... but i think its a 12.5'''

and bottom plate

Not easy to date... as there are no import hallmarks... or Swiss! But am going to guess the WW1 period... maybe up to 1920? But that is a pure guess.

Any thoughts/comments on the movement or watch in general, very much appreciated! Im just happy to have won it, there was stiff competition!

Marc

Marrick, joeuk and radger like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: No16 Interesting Anglo Swiss Watch Co. Borgel

Hi Marc
    I watched this all the way. I KNEW you would buy it
    '
    ENJOY
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Well this one is definitely on my to buy list to add to my small Anglo Swiss collection. Very nice and well done on the buy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One more cool Borgel,Congrats
    pilotswatch

I watched this one for several days as well , even threw a few bids at it .

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    I watched it too. It was very brave of Marc to buy it without knowing whether it could be made to run. Glad it sprang into life.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I had a look last night, and as ever with these, no luck at all with identifying the movement. A couple of superficially similar bridge layouts but nothing close on the bottom plate.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi Marc
    I watched this all the way. I KNEW you would buy it
    '
    ENJOY
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotswatch View Post
    One more cool Borgel,Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Thank You Gentlemen... I wont be boring you all with another new one for a while! Sounds like half of WUS was watching this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    I watched it too. It was very brave of Marc to buy it without knowing whether it could be made to run. Glad it sprang into life.
    Not sure I would call it 'Brave'.... and I doubt you would really... risky? foolish? gamble? either way, I was very lucky! But the risk was, I was happy (more like willing) to lose out on the cost, as i dont have a branded Borgel. Was also hoping it would add another, different, movement to the collection. This time it paid off (still, was not cheap - due to all that WUS action). But for me, I got it cheap compared to what I was willing to pay.

Still running after 14 hours... lost approx 3mins (lack of second hand making it harder to time). Definitely needs a clean and service before resuming wrist time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Well this one is definitely on my to buy list to add to my small Anglo Swiss collection. Very nice and well done on the buy

I had a look last night, and as ever with these, no luck at all with identifying the movement. A couple of superficially similar bridge layouts but nothing close on the bottom plate.

Thanks Mirius,

I have found 2 or 3 similar looking movements in Borgels.... but nothing exactly the same - its unusual to have the pin set at '2'... was hoping that would help in the search... but currently not!

Im sure someone will ID it in time (hopefully).

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    its unusual to have the pin set at '2'... was hoping that would help in the search... but currently not!
    When I'm looking at pocket watches I normally ignore those with it at 2 because it often indicates a Roskopf movement (that and the fact that M&ST didn't). If I remember I might have a check to see which manufacturers did this.

Congrats on your trench watch, been searching the movement but no luck yet.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast