WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

NOS Jacques Monnat chronographs - Where did they all come from?

23K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  HughesAlex9010 
#1 ·
I came across this watch in a sale post and really liked the look of it.

Tried to do some searching online and couldn't find any real background info on the watch, but what I did find were lots of sale listings for other "NOS" examples:

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=jacques+monnat&last_days=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=2&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Even Hodinkee was selling one: https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...nnat-incabloc-chronograph?variant=19801002180

This has made me kind of suspicious. They only seem to have appeared since 2014/2015.
Was a box of them unearthed somewhere and they're spreading around the world? :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I've also noticed this massive influx of NOS examples. It's definitely suspicious. Something similar happened with Squale watches, where a batch of NOS bakelite bezels were "discovered", but in that case the company issued a special limited addition of new watches with the old bezels. With the Jacques Monnet watches, people are claiming left and right that the watches are actually 40+ years old, but completely shiny and new. The whole thing is extremely hard to believe, especially since there are basically no known examples that are old and worn, they are all NOS.

#4 ·
A Valjoux 7736 has considerable value, and the movement I looked at in one of these watches - is not late production. I would say the one I saw on eBay has never been serviced and is indeed new - there is no sign of degradation etc.

The movement is worth a lot - I would be surprised if this was a marriage watch, as you can't find a quantity of 7736 movements hanging about.

#7 ·
A Valjoux 7736 has considerable value, and the movement I looked at in one of these watches - is not late production. I would say the one I saw on eBay has never been serviced and is indeed new - there is no sign of degradation etc.

The movement is worth a lot - I would be surprised if this was a marriage watch, as you can't find a quantity of 7736 movements hanging about.
This movement isn't a valjoux 23,22, 92 or 72. It is a cam operated movement with a very poor/average finish and which is far cry from the lemania 1873 regarding quality and durability. I have read somewhere that there were some rare Monnat valjoux 72 powered chronos. Good luck finding one

#5 ·
info here on Palmer corp

About PALMER SALES CORP

PALMER SALES CORP in New York is a company that specializes in Jewelry, Watches, Precious Stones, And Precious Metals. Our records show it was established in New York.
Company Address

64 W 48TH ST STE 607 New York, New York, 10036

PALMER SALES CORP - New York, New York

..and here.

On Tuesday, January 23, 1968, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for JACQUES MONNAT by PALMER SALES CORPORATION, NEW YORK 10017. The USPTO has given the JACQUES MONNAT trademark serial number of 72289419. The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED. The correspondent listed for JACQUES MONNAT is ?

JACQUES MONNAT Trademark of PALMER SALES CORPORATION. Serial Number: 72289419 :: Trademarkia Trademarks

Regards,

#11 ·
I've been looking closer at some of these NOS examples being sold and noticed that some of them have the movement stamped with Palmer Sales and some don't.
Also, the case back reads 20 ATU on some, and 5 ATU on others. Very strange.
Some of these even have the pink case sticker still attached, or remnants of it lingering.

Same here. It's so odd.

info here on Palmer corp

About PALMER SALES CORP

PALMER SALES CORP in New York is a company that specializes in Jewelry, Watches, Precious Stones, And Precious Metals. Our records show it was established in New York.
Company Address

64 W 48TH ST STE 607 New York, New York, 10036

PALMER SALES CORP - New York, New York

..and here.

On Tuesday, January 23, 1968, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for JACQUES MONNAT by PALMER SALES CORPORATION, NEW YORK 10017. The USPTO has given the JACQUES MONNAT trademark serial number of 72289419. The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED. The correspondent listed for JACQUES MONNAT is ?

JACQUES MONNAT Trademark of PALMER SALES CORPORATION. Serial Number: 72289419 :: Trademarkia Trademarks

Regards,

Thanks for that info.

This movement isn't a valjoux 23,22, 92 or 72. It is a cam operated movement with a very poor/average finish and which is far cry from the lemania 1873 regarding quality and durability. I have read somewhere that there were some rare Monnat valjoux 72 powered chronos. Good luck finding one
There's one on eBay at the moment here. Different design, looks worn, but still pretty.

#13 ·
I bought mine about 2 months a go and enjoyed it very much I'm not sure why the worrying...
I'm glad you enjoyed yours and that you were able to flip it for a profit, but I think that the cause for concern is quite valid when the market is suddenly flooded with NOS watches that were previously unknown.

If you doubt it, google "fake fortis marinemaster" or "fake polerouter sub".

#22 ·
I've posted a thread before; "FAKE EDOX SKYDIVER ALERT" and it was being sold alongside the other fake vintage watches (Rado Distar, Fortis Marinemaster, Oris Big-crown etc) mentioned in this thread.. These NOS JACQUES MONNATs however look legitimate to me, even as NOS under close inspection of a decent photograph, you can see the age in the dial and on the crystal. You can also see the quality of the dial and case, which is usually lacking in the fakes. It would be nice to find out where and how many were unearthed, but I'd personally buy one of these with confidence.

#23 ·
I hear there were fifty found in Europe. The company that has them commissioned 'Palmer co' in NYC went broke and possibly never took possession
They have been manufactured by ' Jenny' who made similar and the same for many other brands Jenny ,Ollech & Wajs and so on
That had a few different watches created using the movements of the day including valjoux 72 and a few others.
The blue dial, pink seconds hand was one that existed in small number and another batch was found a couple of years ago in pristine condition.
I've had mine for a year and I bought it from another 'wuser' .
The dealers around the place certainly know them and knew the story of then.
Any questions I'll do my best to answer

#28 ·
These watches Jacques monnat. Look brand new because they are . Do you home work and look at original one made
The 2 picture s are original 60 s 70 s watch look at differences between new watch lower down . Loads af obvious differences

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Gentlemen:
I read some of the posts here and had checked out some Jacques Monnat chronographs offered recently on E-Bay by seller/s from the U.K.
I think most of them are fake. I was not even aware of this company until I purchased my Jacques Monnat chronograph with the Valjoux 72 movement from a jewelry store in Virginia. The beautiful dial with very detailed printing, the Bakelite bezel insert and the case back text, immediately convinced me that the article was 100% genuine Swiss Made. What a surprise I had when I opened the case back and saw a Val.72 inside. So since this company was not manufacturing any watches they just used available cases, same as Ollech & Wajs , available movements and dials. So most of the genuine ones you find for sale have 17 jewels movements which are Val. 7733. Very few have a Val. 72 as mine. Pay attention also to the case back on my watch, it is 12 sided. So the ones you see being sold for about $500 on E-Bay are all fakes in my opinion. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory Strap Metal
Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory Strap Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.