NOS Watch Question

Thread: NOS Watch Question

NOS Watch Question

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but if I pick up a new old stock 60's vintage watch will it need to be serviced before using it? I'm thinking the 40+ year old lubricants won't be very useful.

Re: NOS Watch Question

I believe that the only dumb question is the unasked one. You instincts are correct it will need a service and for the reasons you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    I believe that the only dumb question is the unasked one. You instincts are correct it will need a service and for the reasons you stated.
    +1 - unless it is bought from someone whom you believe to be telling the truth when they say it has recently been serviced (ie a vintage dealer that offers a 1 year guarantee)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I will be sure to ask if they had it serviced. If they haven't, I'll probably pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK1962 View Post
    Thanks guys. I will be sure to ask if they had it serviced. If they haven't, I'll probably pass on it.
    The problem is you can not always believe the seller. If they are selling on price they are not paying to have it serviced. And I have had seemingly reputable jewelers claim they can clean watches with out disassembly. So what a service even is can be questioned.

I have bought from several watchmakers who, when they claim they serviced the watch, they did. I trust them, based on experience.

Of course, to me, serviced means cleaned and restored to proper running. To many in the trade it means cleaned and restored to running... there is a difference.

Generally, I always assume an eBay watch will need service if I am to use it and, unless it's a parts or 'learning' watch, I won't collect it if I won't use it. In spite of what my spouse says, a collection isn't toys -- it is working timepieces!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It is impossible to clean a watch without disassembly. Why? Because after cleaning, the watch needs to be lubricated, and it can't be lubricated properly assembled. Also, when dipping a movt into a cleaning solution without disassembly, what tends to happen is old lubricants, dirt, corrosion, etc, get swept into nooks and crannies where they cause serious damage. (date rings and dials get destroyed) What I have seen is plates sticking together, films and gunk in recesses and metal wear. Although you might think two plates, for example, are tightly held together with screws, liquid gets between them and deposits solids in solution. This is also why cleaning solutions get changed often to avoid any solution-borne dirt being deposited. This is also why two or three solutions in sequence are used, not including rinse. The first one gets dirty the fastest, and is changed most often.

Thread Information