Not meant to exist - Titus wristwatch with hand painted copper face
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: Not meant to exist - Titus wristwatch with hand painted copper face

Not meant to exist - Titus wristwatch with hand painted copper face

Hi guys! Firstly let me apologise for being a complete watch newbie. My brother recently died and I ended up with his collection of watches. Mostly Invicta dive watches which are pretty straight forward. However, he still had an old watch that my Dad left him. It's a Titus chronograph (hope that's the right term) with an 18 ct rose gold case and a hand painted copper dial. I took it to a local jeweller who knows his stuff, and he gave me a rough value, but said it was a guess, as according to his databases, Titus never made one with a copper face. I'm never going to sell it, but would love some more info on it. We know my Dad already had it when he met my Mum in 1952, but it could be a lot older. The strap is newish, but apparently the clasp is original. Would appreciate any assistance!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by sarahbravo; August 26th, 2015 at 14:24.

Re: Not meant to exist - Titus wristwatch with hand painted copper face

Pic 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by sarahbravo; August 26th, 2015 at 14:26.

Condolences on the loss of your Brother. I just lost my Father.

I am no expert, but a photo of the inside of the case back and the movement would be of great help in providing more information. There are many on this forum with a lot of knowledge who will know more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I would suggest being careful opening it. The distortions to the case back strongly suggest that this is one of gold cases commonly used for these where the gold is very thin.

I'm no expert, but the dial could have been re-done. It just looks a bit off it some areas, like them black marks at around 9 and the non-magnetic looks too big.
    Someone with more knowledge will show up soon.

Also, the dial looks a little askew to the right. The movement may be loose or something
    Last edited by tinknocker; August 26th, 2015 at 15:06.
    FrenchKiss likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

The dial is IMO re-done for certain- the Titus logo used looks to be the one used much later than when this piece was most likely made. Given the stick hands, I would guess late 1940s/early 1950s, but I might be wrong. The "non-magnetic" is an example of a shoddy job- the fonts is what the dial restorers get wrong all the time.
    Looks to be a "budget" gold case, with a wafer-thin caseback. Mirius is right- be careful when opening it.
    As to the copper-coloured dials in Titus, just google out "vintage titus chronograph", and you'll see some watches which do have that dial colour. Whether they're redials or not I don't know, but still, this might mean that before repainting this dial was copper-coloured as well.
    FrenchKiss and DC guy like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Given the evidence, I would even consider it likely that the watch started as a simple "Chronograph Suisse" and was "transformed" into a "Titus" by redialling. If the movement lacks the inscription "Titus", that would nearly clinch it.

Hartmut Richter
    Chascomm likes this.

Plausible and highly likely to be true- but "budget" gold cases weren't a Chronographe Suisse thing only. As far as I know, some jewellers/ retailers bought movements and dials from well-known manufacturers, and had them installed in such cases. A friend of mine owns an example of that- an early 1940s Eterna, which was bought brand new by his grandfather, never has it been re-cased, and it does have such a case- which had to have a gold "disc" attached outside the caseback much later, to keep the bloody thing from deforming.
    But if there's an unsigned Landeron inside this one, then Chronographe Suisse will be the only explanation indeed.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 26th, 2015 at 19:40.
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information