Not sure on the halmarks...
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Not sure on the halmarks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not sure on the halmarks...

Have acquired a sterling cased Cyma... Will post more in depth about it later, but the marks are confusing.

Name:  case_info.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  56.3 KB

a 'u' on the left and an 'h' in an oval on the right. The 'u' is for London and the little 'h' is the date... Yes? Is this 'h' then 1944 since 1924 is in a square?
    Refering to this site... London Hallmarks 9 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
    mikmis likes this.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Re: Not sure on the halmarks...

Insufficient resolution to say much but the case is not a 1944 vintage... 'h' is more likely a 1923 mark based on the cited table... and that fits the case and lug type much better.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Have acquired a sterling cased Cyma... Will post more in depth about it later, but the marks are confusing.

Name:  case_info.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  56.3 KB

a 'u' on the left and an 'h' in an oval on the right. The 'u' is for London and the little 'h' is the date... Yes? Is this 'h' then 1944 since 1924 is in a square?
    Refering to this site... London Hallmarks 9 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Not a U - London is an inverted omega for the import mark.

Double F inverted is the Glasgow import mark, which is what you have.

Name:  Glasgow.png
Views: 108
Size:  2.0 KB

For Glasgow, h = 1930

Seems about right.
    Last edited by trim; November 18th, 2015 at 08:27.
    Mirius likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was worried about the resolution being an issue, but Trim is right. Thank you! It is the Glasglow city mark, not a 'u'.

sheesh...
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Better image of the hallmarks which confirms what trim said...

Name:  case_data2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  135.5 KB

Well seems no one has mentioned the SFC markings. That apparently is for Schwob Freres & Co.

In looking up more info on Schwob Freres*, seems David Boettcher has thoughtfully researched this, elucidating the relationship between the case maker, the watch company and reasons why a Swiss case maker is registered via the Glasgow Assay Office. Cyma: Schwob Freres and Tavannes

So, Cyma watch correctly paired with the Cyma (via Schwob Freres) case and then imported into the British market by way of Glasgow (Scotland!).

I love what digging a bit deeper into a watch will reveal.

*Seems they also made parts for artillery, explosive projectiles and hand grenades - LINK
    mikmis likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Well seems no one has mentioned the SFC markings. That apparently is for Schwob Freres & Co.

Probably because we can't see that mark with any clarity in any of your photos, and you never mentioned them!
    simpletreasures likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Probably because we can't see that mark with any clarity in any of your photos, and you never mentioned them!
    point taken...

I do hate it when people post images that are not resized to fit within a reasonable screen resolution. I've gone too far the other way then.
    bobbee likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Here is a 1917 advert for a Tavannes/Cyma cushion case watch.

Name:  1917 cyma.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  81.4 KB

Cheers, Bob.
    JackW, eri231 and simpletreasures like this.

Awesome! I've been doing some internet sleuthing trying to find patent or advertising info for the watch case and coming up short. That copy of the advert is much appreciated. Cheers!
    bobbee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information