Novice requires opinion on Omega DeVille watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kungfucowboy
  • 1 Post By NT931

Thread: Novice requires opinion on Omega DeVille watch

Novice requires opinion on Omega DeVille watch

Hi,

First post so bear with me. I found a nice Omega watch I like for sale at Auction with Bonhams. Bonhams 1793 : Omega. A stainless steel manual wind chronograph wristwatch De Ville, Ref:145.017, Movement No.27712457, Circa 1960

Description if link doesn't work

De Ville, Ref:145.017, Movement No.27712457, Circa 1960
    17-jewel Cal.860 manual wind movement, black dial with applied polished faceted baton hour markers, printed white outer minute divisions with luminous dots at five minute increments, polished baton hands with luminous inserts and centre chronograph hand, subsidiary dials at 3 and 9 for running seconds and 30 minute recording, polished tonneau shaped case with screw down back, signed crown at 3 flanked by twin chronograph pushers, fitted black leather strap and signed buckle, case, dial and movement signed
    35mm.

As a relative newbie to watch buying, I am trying to track down if it is a genuine Omega watch. I've tried the Omega website already and the model number doesn't come up in their search functionality OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

The condition report lists as
    The glass has light nicks and scratches consumate with age. The dial and hands are in good condition. The luminous material has faded and is no longer functional.

Estimate at auction is £800-1200, plus 25% buyers premium to be added. A service for that model number according to Swatch/Omega is £405.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Re: Novice requires opinion on Omega DeVille watch

type the model number in as 145.0017 the database often requires 4 digits after the .
    Phil Thomas likes this.

Hi Phil, I'm new to vintage Omegas myself but I thought this might help.

1. You can check the movement number against an online database. Your movement number of 27 million dates it to 1968-1969, rather than 1960 as Bonhams says.

2. If you use the number Kungfucowboy suggested (145.0017) and enter it into in the Omega Vintage Database, you get a model looking pretty much like your watch. It also dates it to 1968, which provides a reassuring cross-check that the movement does date from the same year as the rest of the watch.

Hope this helps!
    Phil Thomas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfucowboy View Post
    type the model number in as 145.0017 the database often requires 4 digits after the .
    Yes that works, many thanks

Thanks NT, feeling slightly more confident about it now and that is a useful website.

Now I just need someone to tell me what's a good price for purchase :)

Hey Phil, although the Bonhams website doesn't show the movement of the watch, lots of other sellers will do so.

There's another database of watch movements (with pictures, year etc) maintained by Dr Roland Ranfft, a frequent forum contributor to Watchuseek. You can use that to help figure out if a watch that you're considering has the correct movement, which will then guide you to a more informed assessment of the watch's value and provenance.

By checking other Omegas, this will also eventually help you figure out if the DeVille you're looking at is worth it.

In any case, it is a lovely watch!

Thread Information