Nurse watch?

Thread: Nurse watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nurse watch?

Hi everyone,
    I've have seen lately a lot of references to the so called "nurse watch" on internet.
    Can anyone define what's the main features of such a watch and if this watch I own can be fitted in to that?
    All the best!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Re: Nurse watch?

All I know of nurse watch are the ones they hang upside down on their top to check time

There is a thread here about nurses' watches:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/his...es-376552.html

I think the cross on the West End watch is the Swiss cross - like in their flag.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nurse watches are another story.......
    West End watch & Co use to be the official importer of some Swiss brands in India. Longines , Favre-Leuba, Zenith can be found with double logo and on dial and case. WEWC° started their own production and , first , they introduced the "incabloc" device in 1934.......
    Some more infos here West End Watch Co.
    My article for a special Longines reference in my web site (in Italian) Longinespassion

I would compare your watch to this cataloge extract of a Hamilton Todd model
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Britishshortair View Post
    Nurse watches are another story.......
    West End watch & Co use to be the official importer of some Swiss brands in India. Longines , Favre-Leuba, Zenith can be found with double logo and on dial and case. WEWC° started their own production and , first , they introduced the "incabloc" device in 1934.......
    Some more infos here West End Watch Co.
    My article for a special Longines reference in my web site (in Italian) Longinespassion
    That's interesting Britishshorthair, I have the same CSI West End/ Longines, 6656 /10.68z as you have
    on your site. It was 'issued' to my step father who was on active duty in the Burma campaign during WW11.
    Possibly sequestered due to shortages and their suitability as they are in a good tropical case, my stepfather
    doesn't know why he was issued with this watch rather than a standard military issue.

Thank you Radger, in which Corp your Stepfather had service in Burma? It's interesting to know because few Corps were belonging to CS(I).......a picture will be greatly appreciated ;=)

Banned

Nurses were not allowed to wear any jewellery, rings, watches etc on the hands and wrists. They had to have short, unpainted nails.
    The Nurse watches were fixed above the left breast.
    Ideally, if the nurse had a normal physique, it could be read without touching.

These days, I guess anything goes!

If you check the Hamilton watch ad, by 1954, the American practice was different. The pendant watch is aimed at nurses who prefer that style indicating to me that a wristwatch was prefered. The fact that Hamilton made a model of wristwatch, advertised as a nurses watch, tells me that they were widely accepted. My memory of a cute student nurse, I met during a brief hositaization in 1969, was that she was wearing a wristwatch.

Hi Janne,

I like your description how the watch can be read without being touched:"..... a normal physique.."
    In former times we called it "fleshy balcony" where such a watch should rest upon.....

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information