Obscure brand.

Thread: Obscure brand.

Obscure brand.

Got this from my now dead uncle who bought it in a catalogue I believe. It cant be expensive since he was a lumber jack since 12 years of age in northern Sweden. I´ve actually only seen this brand of watch on elderly men from the woodlands and my uncle had two.

Strange thing is that the movement looks and smells like brass.

I cant afford to restore it in a shop but I´m thinking about learning how to do it my self since it has stopped now. The case was quite dirty from working in the timber industry with the exhaust fumes from the chain saw and all that.

When I searched the webb I found it posted on auctions in Sweden and on forums by.........yep, Swedes.

Do you know anything

Regards
    Erik

ps the brand is Lagonda
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gagarin

stuffler,mike

Re: Obscure brand.

Hi Erik, my guess would be: Produced somewhere in Switzerland as a Private Label Brand. The only (rare) Lagonda I knew is the Aston Martin Lagonda Here´s a very rare one:

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Hi Erik, my guess would be: Produced somewhere in Switzerland as a Private Label Brand. The only (rare) Lagonda I knew is the Aston Martin Lagonda Here´s a very rare one:

I´ve thought the same as there were old catalogues in Sweden with jewelry and watches at affordable prices. Maybe it was Swedish company that ordered watches from the Swiss.
    Some old fellow from watchmaking buisness in Sweden maybe knows

Regards
    Erik
    Gagarin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post

Is it from the >Harold & Maud< movie ?

Aaahh, the old working men's watches...
    Here's one from England, purchased in Southampton (but clearly originaly from a jeweler in Worcester!) in '96.
    Notice any similarity?
    I believe millions of these were made in Switzerland and then stamped with the name of local jewelers throughout the world between the 30's to the late 70's before being dethroned by quartz horrors...
    Sadly, far too few modern jewelers and retailers still practise this noble art...
    I wore mine till it finaly collapsed in 2003, but still keep it like on a shelf as one of my most precious keepsakes... We got history, from the fumes of the printing workshop to more than a few music festivals...
    Mine has an 25 jewels Eta 2472 movement, which dates it from the late 60's- early 70's. How about yours?
    Should we start a page of lookalike watches?
    Best regards,
    r.j.b.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by redjackbonney View Post
    Aaahh, the old working men's watches...
    Here's one from England, purchased in Southampton (but clearly originaly from a jeweler in Worcester!) in '96.
    Notice any similarity?
    I believe millions of these were made in Switzerland and then stamped with the name of local jewelers throughout the world between the 30's to the late 70's before being dethroned by quartz horrors...
    Sadly, far too few modern jewelers and retailers still practise this noble art...
    I wore mine till it finaly collapsed in 2003, but still keep it like on a shelf as one of my most precious keepsakes... We got history, from the fumes of the printing workshop to more than a few music festivals...
    Mine has an 25 jewels Eta 2472 movement, which dates it from the late 60's- early 70's. How about yours?
    Should we start a page of lookalike watches?
    Best regards,
    r.j.b.
    Mine has a very strange movement of Brass? marked with "Swiss made" only. Another weir detail is that the case looks like a steel cas with a thin golden plate on top instead of the usual gold filling.

I think your explanation is plausible since he bought them from a Jewelers catalogue and I only have swedes recognize the brand, but I´ll get back to you.

Regards
    Erik
    Gagarin

Hi -

The steel with gold on top is "rolled gold", one way of plating before electroplating took over. Here a thin sheet of gold is placed on steel and the two are rolled together through very high pressure, bonding in the process. It's a very, very durable gold covering, but relatively expensive (the sheet of gold is thin compared to the steel, but is actually fairly thick), and isn't used much at all anymore.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Mine has a gold plated brass case. I'm not sure what process was used, but it's now pretty worn out.
    It still has the following marks in between the bottom lugs:
    PLAQUE OR G10 follwed by something that looks liek a halmark of soem sort, but which I suspect to be a manufacturer's mark (what ressembles a christmas tree in a cartouche surrounded by the letters P and S)
    Many movements are made of some brass alloy. Is yours a manual or an automatic? Does it have any maker's mark under the balance wheel?
    Could you please send a picture of the movement?
    Thanks,
    f.

Quote Originally Posted by gagarin View Post
    Mine has a very strange movement of Brass? marked with "Swiss made" only. Another weir detail is that the case looks like a steel cas with a thin golden plate on top instead of the usual gold filling.

I think your explanation is plausible since he bought them from a Jewelers catalogue and I only have swedes recognize the brand, but I´ll get back to you.

Regards
    Erik

Thread Information