Obviously Fake Bunn Special Dial?

Thread: Obviously Fake Bunn Special Dial?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obviously Fake Bunn Special Dial?

Hey guys,
    I saw this on ebay as i was perusing

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It looks obviously fake to me, just on the fact that it's not double sunk, and the weird looking "Illinois"

What are your guys' thoughts? Am i just not aware of this specific dial, or is it as fake as i think it is?

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Obviously Fake Bunn Special Dial?

That's not even a good fake!

As you've pointed out, one big tip off is the font used for the Illinois signature, which is nothing close to correct.

The unsunk seconds bit is another big tip-off-especially considering that the second hand is far too long for it. The typical dials for these(not the Montgomery dials) have a very big seconds bit that requires an unusually long second hand.

The minute hand is mismatched and incorrect. Even worse, however, is the fact that the end of the minute hand has been trimmed to make it line up with the minute chapter.

The movement on this one is junk, with crummy plates and a lot of rust. It might clean up okay, but I doubt it.

The case is pretty much its only redeeming quality-and it's not THAT redeeming.

IMO, the seller is in dreamland at their price. I think that half of it would still be high!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Looks just fine to me. Errr... just kiddin/// The watch needs a very good cleaning.
    Eggnog goggles.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; December 23rd, 2011 at 02:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    That's not even a good fake!

As you've pointed out, one big tip off is the font used for the Illinois signature, which is nothing close to correct.

The unsunk seconds bit is another big tip-off-especially considering that the second hand is far too long for it. The typical dials for these(not the Montgomery dials) have a very big seconds bit that requires an unusually long second hand.

The minute hand is mismatched and incorrect. Even worse, however, is the fact that the end of the minute hand has been trimmed to make it line up with the minute chapter.

The movement on this one is junk, with crummy plates and a lot of rust. It might clean up okay, but I doubt it.

The case is pretty much its only redeeming quality-and it's not THAT redeeming.

IMO, the seller is in dreamland at their price. I think that half of it would still be high!
    I didn't notice the nipped off minute hand, there's a lot i don't see yet. The WHOLE face hands and all looked odd though. The seller also seems to sell mainly old watches...???? She should know better.

Here's what I would expect to see as far as a Montgomery dial on this one, or at least one of the styles that would be considered correct

And, although not the best condition example(it was all I had without taking another picture), here's what I believe the watch likely had originally based on the second hand

Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Looks like a service dial. I'm going on memory from 25 years ago when I collected these, but I think service dials were common replacements for busted-up originals. Some were even marked "For (fill in the blank) Model." Don't quote me...

I just saw that it DID sell... For 300 USD

I wish I could get that kind of money for ones that were straight and correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    I wish I could get that kind of money for ones that were straight and correct.
    NO DOUBT! The whole RR grade pocketwatch market on ebay seems to be completely unpredictable.

It's not just Ebay.

The past couple of shows I've done, I haven't sold a single railroad even at give-away prices. About all I can sell at shows are keywinds and really cheap low-end stuff. I've had a really, really nice model 9 Bunn Special that I set out for two or three shows in a row. I put $250 on the card, and offered it verbally for $225 and even $215 quite a few times. One fellow offered me $200 for it, which I turned down. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I chased him down a couple of aisles away and told him he could have it for that-he'd already changed his mind and didn't take it. That same show, I had a 19 jewel B.W. Raymond out at a give-away $125, and the only offer I got on it all day was $80!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information