Odd, Unique, Interesting Tool Thread
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Odd, Unique, Interesting Tool Thread

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Odd, Unique, Interesting Tool Thread

Adams' thread on returning to the NAWCC museum where he will assist in cataloging tools, among other things, reminded me of some odd tools I have that I can't identify.

I didn't want to hijack that thread, and I'm sure some of you have some specialized tools to show off or that you could us some help figuring out.

I'll start things off with a few, probably exposing my extreme lack of knowledge in this area in the process.

My 'tool box' is a handmade walnut chest. The escutcheon is stamped "J.H. EATON B.D.C. 96" I haven't been able to find anything out about him.

Let's see them, and hopefully those with the answers can help us out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

This brass thingy-whopper is approx 3" long. It is marked on one side THOMA & SONS PIQUA O., and on the other PAT. AUG. 6-67. The patent date has an owners initials inscribed over it. It appears to be ED.

Anyone know what this is? Apologies if it's too easy.

Last edited by guy0783; February 26th, 2015 at 03:52.
    bobbee likes this.

Re: Odd, Unique, Interesting Tool Thread

Probably just a form of pin-vice.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know for sure but I'll have a punt on my first post!

The way the 'wedge' acts between the 'jaws', looks like it is designed to spread something on the outside of the jaws, rather than clamp something between them. The outer surface of the jaws looks a bit shiney from wear too in the second picture. Maybe some sort of small seal or o-ring spreader perhaps??
    busmatt, radger and Morrisdog like this.

I take it the patent 67 stands for 1867 not 1967 meaning it`s a tool for pocket watch/clock movements which are inherently bigger in the parts department than regular wrist watch movements.My guess is you would set an adjustment slightly bigger than the hairspring width and you would use it to guide the hairspring stud in or out of the stud hole when disassembling or reassembling the balance cock and wheel.

Interesting thread btw.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; February 26th, 2015 at 15:04. Reason: forgot something
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Great suggestions so far! I'd say I have to lean toward Apollo's theory in the short going.

Here's some info I found on Thoma & Sons from the 1919 jewelers circular (on the web). Appears they have been in jewelry in Ohio from the 1830's - today!

Apollonaught likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug Moi View Post
    I don't know for sure but I'll have a punt on my first post!

The way the 'wedge' acts between the 'jaws', looks like it is designed to spread something on the outside of the jaws, rather than clamp something between them. The outer surface of the jaws looks a bit shiney from wear too in the second picture. Maybe some sort of small seal or o-ring spreader perhaps??
    Sorry, but when this tool was made o-rings were not used in watches.

It looks like a balance screw remover/fitter. As the screws are fine and not always slotted at the end you clamp it instead and turn. Judging by the size I would say this was for a pocket watch.
    busmatt likes this.

Now that is a great tool chest...very cool.

It turns out that it is for jewel setting...
    Name:  US67462-0.png
Views: 494
Size:  46.5 KB

Here is the partial text from Google Patents:
    "Be it known that we, AUGUSTIN THOMA, AUGUSTIN F. THOMA, and ALBIN EIHOMA, of Piqua, in the county of Miami, and State of Ohio, have invented a new and improved Instrument for Opening the Settings of Jewels; and we do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, andcxact description thereof, which willA enable others ,skilled in the art to make and use the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, forming part of this specification, in whichi i Figure 1 is a side vi-ew of the instrument.

Figure is a section of a plate showing the manner of setting jewels.
    Figure 3 is a. top view of the same.
    Figure 4 is a. `cross-section of the jaws of the instrument.
    Similar letters of reference indicate like parts.
    This invention relates to an instrument for opening the settings of jewels inwatches or other articles which have been broken, the object of` which is to raise the bez`zel, after removing the old jewel, very carefully, without injury, so that another jewel may be set inthe place of the old or broken one. It consists in a. delicate pair of forceps or tongs, which close so that the steel points of which they are formed may be introduced ontside and under the bezzel which forms the capping around and over the jewel. By means of a screw operated on a spreading-rod between the jaws of the forceps, they are very gradually opened, so that the point-s lift and open the bezz el of the jewel, allowing another one te he setin its place. For jewellers and watchmakers this l instrument will be very convenient and useful."

And a link to the whole thing: https://www.google.com/patents/US674...ed=0CCsQ6AEwAg

You just gotta love the www...

And the prize goes to Paleotime! Fantastic info finding the patent!

Also, thank you for the compliments on the tool chest, I love the crafmanship that went into it and it's in great shape for being 118 years old!

Let's keep this going. This tool has no identifing marks, but may be more common....at any rate I don't know it's name, or purpose:

busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information