Oddball 12/24 hour wristwatch.....

Thread: Oddball 12/24 hour wristwatch.....

Oddball 12/24 hour wristwatch.....

Wondering about this watch I found, specifically who made it and if it has functions beyond what I know.

Photo's below! Here's what I know...

Dial and caseback have no makers name on them that I can find. Inside the back it is marked Pilex Co, case made in Hong Kong.

Hands are standard 12 hr format, the black wheel with cities and red pointer move with the hands but in a 24 hour cycle.

Movement is a Durowe 451-1, marked Standard Time Corp. (Wasn't Sandard Time Corp Hamilton's off brand that made movements for Vantage and such? Did they market these elsewhere?)

The black city wheel does not appear to move independantly of the hands. It seems there is now way to adjust city the red pointer is on, or to move the wheel in relation to hands to give you a seperate time zone that can be adjusted. The crown only seems to have two positions 'normal' and 'out' turning opposite way has no effect in either position. 'In' is for winding and 'out' adjusts hands...just like a normal vintage watch.

Many of the city's are spelled wrong 'Tokio' and 'Chikago' are a couple is this a clue to the where it was made?

So anybody know who made this? Where it made? Is this movment able to do a true GMT function or just a 'follow' to the hands? Anybodt seen one of these before?

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Re: Oddball 12/24 hour wristwatch.....

As it is a Durowe 451-1 it is supposed to have 12h and 24h display, see Dr. Ranfft's site:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Durowe 451-1 (INT)

The geographical names seems to be correct, in German language. The selection of names is a bit odd though, with Klondike representing western Canada/Alaska.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    As it is a Durowe 451-1 it is supposed to have 12h and 24h display, see Dr. Ranfft's site:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Durowe 451-1 (INT)

The geographical names seems to be correct, in German language. The selection of names is a bit odd though, with Klondike representing western Canada/Alaska.
    I noticed the 'weird choices' for cities as well.....maybe the only thing that would fit on dial as some are abbreviated?

I know it says 12/24 hour in the spec sheet anybody familiar enough to tell me if they set independantly? Seems there is no way to do it. Not only would the black disc have to set independantly the red pointer would have to as well, seems to be no provision for this. It's like a cheap watch trying to look fancy. Thanks for the info.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like this watch!

For a long time the industry in Hong Kong made watches with movements sourced from elsewhere. There is a short history at the Chinese Watch Industry Wiki.

I have a few Hong Kong-made watches, and, for the most part, they have lower-grade movements and unfamiliar brand names.
    See my collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanical watches at myvcms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post

FWIW, Klondike was commonly used on world time watches until the 1950's. I did some research on the cities featured in Vacheron & Constantin world timers and was amazed by how much they reflected the political situations of the day! For example, these are the locations from a 1930 V&C table clock:

Marquesas Isld/Skagway/Klondike
    San Francisco/Vancouver
    Mexico/Denver
    New Orleans/St Louis/Chicago
    Montreal/New-York/Valparaiso
    Halifax/Buenos-Aires/Falkland
    Cap Farewell/Pernambuco/Rio De Janeiro
    Azores Isld/Sandwich Isld
    Iceland/Madeira/St Louis
    London/Paris (Summer)/Rome/Cape Town
    Leningrad/Istanbul/Cairo
    Baghdad/Aden/Madagascar
    Teheran/Addis-Abeba/Mauritius I.
    Omsk/Kabul/Bombay
    Tomsk/Calcutta/Colombo
    Irkoutsk/Singapore/Batavia
    Albany/Manila/Shanghai/Peking
    Adelaide/Tokyo/Vladivostck
    New Guinea/Carolines Is./Sydney
    Auckland Isld/New Caledonia
    New Zealand/Auckland/Fiji Isld
    Samoa/Hawai
    Alaska

Now, here are the locations from a 1980s Phidias wrist watch:
    GMT
    Paris
    Cairo
    Moscow
    Dubai
    Karachi
    Dacca
    Bangkok
    Hong Kong
    Tokyo
    Sydney
    Noumea
    Auckland
    Midway
    Honolulu
    Anchorage
    L.Angeles
    Denver
    NewYork
    Caracas
    R.Janeiro
    Azores
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

I have one with out the City names called Vantage. The red hand is for 24 hr reading and can be set to like 16 hundred hr while your watch reads 4 pm.
    My watch is in mint condition and was purchased on Ebay for $ 43.00! Runs fine and keeps time. Love the looks of it and where it with a gold plated mesh band.
    Yours is only the second one i have seen and helped me to find the movement maker. Thanks for posting this interesting time peace.

Thread Information