Offered GP Gyromatic, opinions?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Offered GP Gyromatic, opinions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Offered GP Gyromatic, opinions?

Hi

I have been offered this GP Gyromatic with gold filled 10k case and original crown. I do not have photo of the movement, but must get it opened before making a buying decision. On the back there is an engraving "Sterling Drug Inc. and initials". So probably a commemorative watch. What I notice is that the date window may be missing the frame. Anything that should put me off? Opinions?
    Name:  Gyromatic2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  Gyromatic1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  62.4 KB
    Last edited by finflyer; February 18th, 2017 at 18:47. Reason: more details

Re: Offered GP Gyromatic, opinions?

Hi finflyer,

I'm a little suspect about this one. I cant find another with those dial colours. All the others seem to have the Swiss or Swiss made displayed discreetly under the minute track or at any rate much lower on the dial than the one you show. The pics aren't great but I would treat with caution.

Regards,

Almost certainly a redial, and the crown is neither correct, nor original.

There are a huge number of vintage GP on the market at any given time, so why would you choose this one?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for comments. I have found one similar item:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2046415...x-mens-vintage

Which seems to locate in MO, US. The price of this watch is ridiculous though. The watch I have been offered is far away from Missouri, but may been bought from US (probably from Watchcat, Missouri, that seems to be defunct now) so probably not the same watch? Sterling Drug Inc. seems to have been present in Missouri in the 60's (according to the Supreme Court of Missouri decision archives), explaining the commemorative status of the watch. So maybe these two watches are from same original source (both redials/frankes, or not). This is getting interesting...
    I like the looks of the watch, but if it's a redial/franken, then not going to buy.
    Last edited by finflyer; February 19th, 2017 at 11:16.

Interesting (second) find. While I remain skeptical, it is true that GP made a dazzling variety of models and styles during the '60s and '70s, and so I have to leave open the possibility that I am wrong. The dial issue that I find suspicious is the size of the "SWISS MADE". It is proportionally imbalanced, and I cannot imagine which any company would want that notation to grab as much, if not more attention than the brand and model names.

The crown also appears outsized, and especially for an automatic watch that, by definition, requires little winding. Having said that, the late '60s and '70s did feature many outlandish designs, so again, perhaps it is original after all.

Cheers,

Tony C.

In addition, I found for example this Vintage 1977 Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic Date Self-Winding Automatic Presentation Watch (Stainless Steel) | watchsteez.com
    In which the "swiss made" is written in same style. Perhaps for better visibility in a commemorative watch. This seems to accommodate same movement also, Gyromatic 152 17j.
    Also, a bit similar watches from the era:
    Item 499856 - Kaplans Auktioner
    B?n tin: 830371 | Ph? Mua Bán | PHOMUABAN

What I also find interesting that most of the watches that has resemblance are with company name engravings.

About redial, in my opinion this https://img0.etsystatic.com/036/0/99...32382_fkxb.jpg looks too precise and well made, but I might be wrong.

Still, I would love to hear what do you think of these examples, and what conclusion to draw from them. Still very interesting...

Regards,
    Vesa

Hi Vesa,

the last two to which you linked have more normal proportions with the SWISS MADE, so I don't find them to be closely comparable. The fonts and lettering on the subject watch look acceptable. Do you have any photos of the case back and movement? I am wondering about condition.

Tony C.
    Last edited by Tony C.; February 19th, 2017 at 17:52.

I understand the concern about the size of the "SWISS MADE" text. However, I find it a little speculative to conclude that the watch has been redialed. The font seems very good and the markers are precise. Moreover, the lume dots seem to be aged in a very realistic way (e.g. not all exactly the same shade). If this is a re-dial, it is a very old and very good one.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thank you all for expert comments. The one issue still is the movement. If it is the same (need to get the case opened) found in the similar https://www.etsy.com/listing/2046415...x-mens-vintage and some other watches mentioned here, the GP 152-301, then what is that? There are not too many mentions about a movement GP 152-301 in the web, and in Ranfft I found nothing (maybe don't know how to search). In julesborel I found it might based on AS 2162 (at least GP 152-309 is). Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
    Vesa
    Last edited by finflyer; February 19th, 2017 at 16:59. Reason: more searching, more info

Hi finflyer,

Interesting you found another example, and a very clean version at that. We cant preclude that they aren't from the same hand but I have to except that it is possible they are original. However I'm not totally convinced and for my part I have to say "undecided". Not sure that helps you much. I'd like to see more examples or an ad or a catalogue to confirm without doubt.

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information