oh here is an interesting one.

Thread: oh here is an interesting one.

oh here is an interesting one.

Hey guys I just got back from my watchmaker and he ended up giving me this older (50s?) bulova self wind for $20. He told me to take it home and play with it. When I opened it up I found this. Was very surprised. Any ideas what it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stratocasters Rock!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: oh here is an interesting one.

The case is obviously for an automatic movement since there is plenty of space between the case back and the back of the movement. You can see some holes in the movement where extra bits should go so I would think that it isn't a mariage but instead an automatic movement reduced for some reason to a manual one (parts donor for another movement? Automatic module was trashed and parts not available?).

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The case is obviously for an automatic movement since there is plenty of space between the case back and the back of the movement. You can see some holes in the movement where extra bits should go so I would think that it isn't a mariage but instead an automatic movement reduced for some reason to a manual one (parts donor for another movement? Automatic module was trashed and parts not available?).

Hartmut Richter
    thanks! yeah i think its a 10bcz or something like that. so it used to be 23 jewels lol
    Stratocasters Rock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it's a 10BPA with the autowind module removed. The 10 BZC was the 30 jewel version, and there's no cap jewel on the escape wheel on your watch.

I just got an Elgin 618 Bumper with the autowind module got. I bought it on Ebay, nonrunning, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I opened the caseback, the movement looked wrong - no swinging weight, no autowind module, no identification. It took me a minute to realise that it was indeed at 618, and then only because I'd taken apart another Elgin Bumper movement and recognized it.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    I think it's a 10BPA with the autowind module removed. The 10 BZC was the 30 jewel version, and there's no cap jewel on the escape wheel on your watch.

I just got an Elgin 618 Bumper with the autowind module got. I bought it on Ebay, nonrunning, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I opened the caseback, the movement looked wrong - no swinging weight, no autowind module, no identification. It took me a minute to realise that it was indeed at 618, and then only because I'd taken apart another Elgin Bumper movement and recognized it.
    Wow your good! Thanks for that man. This is why I love this forum. Amazing knowledge. What do you do with that movement? Just wear it as a manual wind?
    Stratocasters Rock!

Depending on your level of skill and interest, you could look for a working 10BPA out of a scrapped case, and swap it in, or you could take the autowind module and add it to the watch.

In the case of my Elgin 618, I found a spare movement, and I already have a spare 607, which shares most parts with it, so when the spare 618 arrives, I'll determine how much of it I can use. If it's ALL of it, I'll clean it and use it. I've already COA'd the 607, so servicing/cnnibalizing the 618 doesn't frighten me. The case and dial are in excellent condition, and I REALLY, REALLY want this as a working watch!!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post

Good call. Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information