Oke I did my share of reading, so now my second try at a vintage watch, an Omega

Thread: Oke I did my share of reading, so now my second try at a vintage watch, an Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oke I did my share of reading, so now my second try at a vintage watch, an Omega

After registering here and asking my first stupid beginners questions I did my fair share of reading and hopefully a bit of learning

Anyway, my eye fell on an Omega watch the seller claims is from the 1950's ;Omega Caliber 265 with 15 Jewels. Marked with Serial No. 12002905, however he also mentions a " 18K Solid Rose Gold custom made case"which to me sounds a little icky.. since I now know what a so called frankenwatch is..

I could use some opinions, especially because I actually like the looks of this watch, thanks in advance.

Dont know if I can post the link but it seems not possible to link only the pics so here it goes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260533587064&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Re: Oke I did my share of reading, so now my second try at a vintage watch, an Omega

You'll have to wait for the Omega experts for an opinion on the dial, though it certainly is in better condition than I'd usually expect. About the only thing I noticed immediately is the difference in color between the balance cock, barrel bridge, and train bridge. Assuming there isn't something weird going on with reflected light, color differences in pink Omega movements like that one can indicate mix-'n-match parts. If this movement weren't shock-protected my first thought would be that at some point someone who lacked necessary skill or who was simply lazy "repaired" a broken staff by replacing the balance and cock as a unit. But since it IS shock-protected and since I'll be the first to admit that I have relatively little knowledge of Omegas in general you'd do well to ignore everything I've said :D. Still, I'd still be a bit worried about the regulator being all the way toward "fast".

It IS absolutely beautiful, though.
    Last edited by sesquipedalian; January 9th, 2010 at 07:14.
    I hope I look as good as my Hamilton when I'm seventy. I guess time will tell.

Re: Oke I did my share of reading, so now my second try at a vintage watch, an Omega

If you don't want a "so called frankenwatch" then avoid this watch as it's a classic
    example.

The movement looks to be made up from parts and is in poor condition.

The dial is a poor paint job which looks to have been done in South America....
    large subseconds dial, minute markers unevenly spaced from chapter ring
    (at some points they are touching the chapter circle and at other points there
    is a gap), also the outlined gold numbers are typical of a South American dial.

And the case, well no one would go to the expense of having a "custom made"
    solid gold case made for a run of the mill movement...even if the movement was
    original and pristine.

This is a made up watch but I'll admit it does look very good...nicer than most
    original Omegas in fact but it's already overpriced as I doubt the case is really
    18kt...you'ld seldom get a hallmark struck so poorly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, it's a Franken, and therefore of no real value as a collectible. OTOH, it's a very nice looking watch. What are you looking for in buying a vintage watch? Something merely to wear, or a watch that has horological significance? If the former, by all means buy that one (or something like it) and don't worry about what the purists might say. If the latter, you'll need to be patient and educate yourself as you've begun to do. If you're interested in vintage Omegas specifically, check the Omega forum here, the VOF, and Desmond's (he posts here as Mondodec) blog.

Here are a couple of examples of original watches. The Pie Pan is my most recent addition. It's in near mint condition and could pass as new on the wrist.

Here is a Cosmic that shows a great deal of patina, but has tremendous collector value because of its original condition.

In short, you can have it all (all original and looks like it's new) if you're willing to be patient and pay. . .
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

The ad is upfront about it being a 'Refinished' dial. That doesn't look like a hallmark to me, but the image isn't great. The movement looks like a mismash of parts; it certainly wouldn't have come out of the factory looking like that, AFAIK. And that would concern me because of the potential for the pieces to not quite mesh together well, resulting in a poor running movement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

I've seen this same seller offer "custom" cases for other brands too (most recently Longines Flagship models from the 50's and 60's). Many times these watches were sent to South America by the manufacturer in steel cases and then recased in solid gold by a dealer down there. As nice as it is, it's 100% frankened and should be avoided if you aspire to be a serious collector. If you wanted a nice looking piece just to wear, I'd even avoid this as the movement is comprised of cannibalized parts from different eras (hence the different plating colors).

This seller operates out of Calif. with watches coming from Argentina.
    Caveat Emptor.

thanks guys for all the info. I still like the look of this watch and I would even be tempted just to get it because of this, however the remarks of the movement taught me otherwise Allthough I must admit I am more of a " couple of pieces that are nice to wear" kinda guy then a serious collector, I did find that out about myself these couple of weeks threading through this forum and other information sources. Which brings me to the next point; it is near to impossible for a beginner to actually see the difference between a fake and a real watch. I never knew this but it seems that not only almost everything is copied nowadays ( even the vintage watches,which suprised me because a lot of these are not that expensive real let alone fake) and the fake crap is coming from all directions..argentine, ukraine, china.. its hard to find the affordable gems between all this crap

Anyway, I starting to feel like I am ranting, sorry about that.

Btw
    jwalther, those are a couple of truly magnificent examples you posted there, really nice. Especially the moon phase one.

thanks again people, for all the advice you have given me, I cant promise I wont come back with a find that will be posted here but I will try to restrain myself as much as possible

As to being able to pick out fakes... The more knowledge you have the more you develop an ability to 'just know'... In the TAG forum we face a lot of fakes and we try to get folks point out the 'tells' that give away that a watch is a fake. This helps build up a repertoire of things to look for.

After a while you accumulate enough knowledge and mental pictures of real watches to start getting "the feeling" something is wrong.... but only in watches you have a decent knowledge of... or when fakes are outrageously bad fakes.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The big thing is to keep your expectations in check. If you really want an authentic Omega to wear, then contact a reputable vintage watch seller, who'll help you find what you're looking for. But it'll cost you. A quick internet search found me this same watch (but in stainless steel) for $1,250, with service and guarantee. I find that a bit pricey, but what do I know. Point is, if you're looking on ebay, you're looking for a "deal" and thus are going to be the target of people who routinely try to exploit those whose knowledge isn't up to snuff. Which is most of us, to one degree or another. You're being smart and checking the facts as best you can, but that only reduces the risk.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information