Old Altus watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old Altus watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Altus watch

Dear readers,

I am new to watchuseek! So first of all, hi! and my compliments on the forum - very nice stories, information and of course pictures!

Recently I acquired an old Altus watch and I have been trying to gain some information on it. Being completely new to the world of wristwatches I hope some of you can help me out! Google and this forum give me very little information on the brand and its watches - making it a rather difficult sarch!

I have not been able to see the inside of the watch because I do not know how to remove the backplate - nor have I contacted a watchmaker to do this for me. It kind of looks like this one mentioned here earlier, but it also differs on many points as well! https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/alt...al-460197.html

This is my first watch, and I am liking it very much, also it keeps time pretty well (about a minute a day fast) for such an old watch - it could be decades since it was last serviced. I would love to know more about it.

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, the only camera I have around is the one mounted on my phone! The gold is very pretty and the dial is less white than on this picture.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Merkwerdichliebe; March 30th, 2013 at 11:40.

Re: Old Altus watch

Hello mid 40's swiss , 18k gold case, nice dial. Very nice watch, do not know too much about the Manufacturer(Glycine), I'm sure someone here will fill you in.
    Nice candidate for a restoration.
    FV
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; March 29th, 2013 at 18:15.

Hi and welcome.

That's a nice watch - a very simple but effective dial design.

What we know about Altus is in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/con...us-234758.html

This is mine:

nsmike likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The lugs are identical to the one here in the Ad from 1947, however yours has subseconds. I also believe its from the late 40's, would expect Felsa or AS movement inside:

EDIT: the attachment is replaced somehow with an Omega Co-Axial pic due to the problems in the server of the web site. It was an Altus Ad from chronicles of Le Chaux de Fonds:)will try again

Name:  Altus47.png
Views: 1024
Size:  246.8 KB
    Last edited by Emre; March 30th, 2013 at 12:30.

Thank you guys for the insight!

I went to a local watchmaker today and he advised to wait with opening it - better wait till I wanted it serviced. I'll come back to write down whatever movement is inside!

I am also new to the site. My wife is an Austrian and as a young lady working at an army base in Germany was given an Altus ladies watch that looks a little like the ones posted but It is not gold it has a ring around the body that is gold color and what looks like stainless steel backing. It has a number there also 513 362412 could anyone tell me about the watch she got the watch in the 60s

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. It sounds like you have a fairly generic watch from the sixties. Some pictures would help enormously. Please remember that gents' watches in those days were sometimes only 30mm across so if it's that size, it's more likely to be a gent's watch. Ladies watches in those days tended not to be round.

Hartmut Richter

Question Re: Old Altus watch

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the Vintage forum. It sounds like you have a fairly generic watch from the sixties. Some pictures would help enormously. Please remember that gents' watches in those days were sometimes only 30mm across so if it's that size, it's more likely to be a gent's watch. Ladies watches in those days tended not to be round.

Hartmut Richter
    Dear Mr. Hartmut Richter It is about 12 mm around and I also believe that was generic I a black band on it originally . If I can figure out to put a picture I will I am an old novice. thank you for coming back so quickly. Wallace Duggins

I have the picture on my phone and ready to send it if you can give me an address to send it too. I took it to a jewelry mechanic and they confirmed that it was generic and she had the lugs taken off years ago and wires for a band in stalled and then threw in her drawer. she is old now and just wants some history on the watch. I told her it was like a Timex in Wal-Mart but I don't .he didn't spend a lot for it but its memories is worth more to her. Thank you for the trouble and time put in on this watch. Wallace

Dear Mr. Richter I took the watch repair shop and they said it was basically generic .she had the lugs taken off years ago and wires installed for some kind of other band. Anyway I told her it a watch like Wal-Mart sells ,Timex ,etc. She isn't really interested in the value but in the history of the watch. Though if she was told it was a million dollar she would have heart attack. I have a picture ready on my phone to send if you can give me an address .Thank you for your time and trouble this is all for an old lady trying to relive her memories. Thank you Wallace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information