Old Butex Chronograph Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny4

Thread: Old Butex Chronograph Questions

0o0

Confused Old Butex Chronograph Questions

Hi All,

Before I start, this is my first post, and although I have followed this forum for a while now, I may be missing something and this discussion may have already taken place. Obviously if this is the case just point me in that direction.

So I came across a Butex Swiss Chronograph my father owned yesterday and I have some queries as to the following:
    1. The watch model (Almost no information online however I think it could be close to the Butex Panda Diver given the strange bezel)
    2. The year of manufacture
    3. The actual chronograph function (more below)

[Please see images below as it is useful to visualise what I'm saying]

So I have a feeling that the chronograph function of this watch is broken. The Stop/Start Pusher at the top right rarely works (as in I can push it down but only occasionally do I get that satisfying click and the stopwatch starts running). However, when it does start, the chronograph runs normally- with the 3 o'clock subdial counting minutes. I can, again, rarely stop the chronograph (usually takes about 20 presses for it to finally work), but when it is stopped, the reset function works perfectly and consistently. The watch itself keeps time normally.

A final strange thing I get is that I can manually wind the watch as usual using the crown, but it is notched and winds the 6 o'clock subdial in half hour increments too . Is this normal (am I missing something?)

I almost feel like I'm missing how this chronograph is supposed to work. I thought I knew how chronographs worked .

Does anyone have any information about this watch and if something is broken what is?

Finally, if this is being posted in the wrong section, my apologies, just advise and I will delete.

Thanks,
    D.

(Apologies for the crappy quality, my camera wouldn't focus properly on the dial because the crystal is so scratched.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Butex Chronograph Questions

oOo...now: That's a good-sized watch! Without going into too much detail: I suggest that you take your watch in for a Service...it looks to be 40+ years old, and probably would like very much to be disassembled & cleaned & oiled & regulated. On a watch as complicated as this--at its' age--it makes a very good use of your $$ to properly get things right. From what you've mentioned here, I'll hazard a guess, that all will be OK after a routine Service. Stay in touch! Michael.

0o0

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    oOo...now: That's a good-sized watch! Without going into too much detail: I suggest that you take your watch in for a Service...it looks to be 40+ years old, and probably would like very much to be disassembled & cleaned & oiled & regulated. On a watch as complicated as this--at its' age--it makes a very good use of your $$ to properly get things right. From what you've mentioned here, I'll hazard a guess, that all will be OK after a routine Service. Stay in touch! Michael.
    Thank you! I plan on taking it in for a service in the next week or so. Shall keep this updated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The styles of the dial and case point towards the 1970s (or perhaps late 1960s), and this certainly seems to be a good quality watch, with an all stainless case and a 20m depth rating. The bracelet is not original and does not fit properly between the lugs. Otherwise, the watch appears to be in very good original condition; in particular the bevels on the case are extremely sharp and appear never to have been polished. You need to preserve this. The chronograph functions are not working properly and will need a repair, and as Michael mentioned, the watch is due for a complete service. However, please be very clear to the watchmaker that the case should not be polished (you want to preserve the original sharp lines of the case), and that none of the original parts (hands, crown, etc.) should be replaced unless absolutely necessary.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hi, it is a Butex/BWC chronograph with a 7736 valjoux movement.

If you click this link, you'll see a lot of similar watches but branded BWC.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bwc+7...w=1920&bih=950
    esdy_11192 likes this.

0o0

Quote Originally Posted by Danny4 View Post
    Hi, it is a Butex/BWC chronograph with a 7736 valjoux movement.

If you click this link, you'll see a lot of similar watches but branded BWC.
    {link..

Thank you ever so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. The watch itself I believe was bought in Portugal and BUTEX was a subsidiary of BWC so I assume they just put the other brand name on for sales in Portugal? I can't find any info but it's irrelevant anyway it's the same watch.

0o0

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The styles of the dial and case point towards the 1970s (or perhaps late 1960s), and this certainly seems to be a good quality watch, with an all stainless case and a 20m depth rating. The bracelet is not original and does not fit properly between the lugs. Otherwise, the watch appears to be in very good original condition; in particular the bevels on the case are extremely sharp and appear never to have been polished. You need to preserve this. The chronograph functions are not working properly and will need a repair, and as Michael mentioned, the watch is due for a complete service. However, please be very clear to the watchmaker that the case should not be polished (you want to preserve the original sharp lines of the case), and that none of the original parts (hands, crown, etc.) should be replaced unless absolutely necessary.
    Ahh I thought the bracelet was not original.
    Chances are when I get this repaired and good as new i'll think about putting it on a thick leather band or NATO. Maybe even a rubber strap.

Thanks.

0o0

One final thing,

There is a little red area on the minute counter subdial counting down from 5 to 0. Could this be used as a regatta timer? If so, how. I know that the Valjoux 7737 included a regatta timer and this apparently has a Valjoux 7736.
    Thanks,
    D.

Quote Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
    One final thing,

There is a little red area on the minute counter subdial counting down from 5 to 0. Could this be used as a regatta timer? If so, how. I know that the Valjoux 7737 included a regatta timer and this apparently has a Valjoux 7736.
    Thanks,
    D.
    Sorry if this is obvious, but if you start the chrono at the 5 minute mark before the start of the race, then the first five minutes of elapsed time will count down to the start of the race. The numbers in the red area provide the countdown.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

0o0

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Sorry if this is obvious, but if you start the chrono at the 5 minute mark before the start of the race, then the first five minutes of elapsed time will count down to the start of the race. The numbers in the red area provide the countdown.
    Thank you.

In hindsight, that was obvious, but I just wanted to check.
    Thanks again,
    D.

Thread Information