Old Colibri Pocket watch

Thread: Old Colibri Pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Colibri Pocket watch

I came across an old pocket watch in my father in laws stuff...he passed 20 years ago and we just found it. I can find anything about it and it has no distinguishable markings that I can see.

It has a running horse engraved on the from and a "fox hunt" type scene painted in the inside. It seems to run perfectly. Not sure how to find out if there is any value to it. Any help is appreciated.Name:  IMG_20140730_091541.jpg
Views: 2850
Size:  266.8 KBName:  IMG_20140730_092939.jpg
Views: 2841
Size:  270.2 KBName:  IMG_20140730_093118.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  261.4 KB

Re: Old Colibri Pocket watch

IT's not a really old pocket watch and about 30-40 years old. A modern retrolook depending on that time. 17 jewels / incabloc speaks for a quality handwinding movement and probably a wristwatch ones.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

What's the big idea about those horses, trains and stuff like that on cheap watches? :|
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 70/80 ties have been a very colored noisy aera. It's a crying oversubscribed mix of differend aeras and a funny succestion about historical watches without any serious research . Don't worry ..just smile

Kind regards

Forces a smile for sure :D Those flowers and wacky horses running around in circles :)) And the bottom one chose to run counter-clockwise not like others :D
    Chaos is my focus

While the watch may be a bit tacky it does house an extremely good Swiss made movement. The Unitas (now ETA) 6498. The 6498 (hunter case) and 6497 (OF case) were originally produced as a pocket watch movement. With the demise of the pocket watch and rise of the quartz movement, the Swiss were in trouble from the late 1960's through 1980's. The large mechanical watches weren't very popular in then. To hang on they marketed them more as a novelty item for things like Father's day, gifts to husbands and boy friends (you see allot of inscriptions in the HC models, etc. Interest in mechanical and large watches in in vogue now and Panerai started using them (although VERY much up-graded). Still, even the basic movement in Swiss made watch costs about $500 to $600 nowadays. The movement costs about $ 180 to $200 depending where you buy it and are popular with hobbyists who case them themselves in cases you can purchase online. In the past I was able to buy a few Colibri watches on ebay for as little as $15 and re-cased one of them as a wrist watch.

Name:  IMG_6564.JPG
Views: 2805
Size:  186.0 KB
    6498 Colibri

Name:  IMG_6565.JPG
Views: 2756
Size:  254.4 KB

Name:  6498.JPG
Views: 2749
Size:  128.8 KBName:  6498 2.JPG
Views: 2758
Size:  154.1 KB
    Re-cased 6498.

Good work and a really nice result. Thank you that you've pointed it out. I'm not surprised to find a quality movement inside. Crazy times and the quarts crisis on the top. I knew a guy who collect these usually cheap made coctail/suit watches out of this area. In a few cases you really find rare movements inside but he prefers german ebouche and therefore it's usually PUW 360. If you know about this watches you can also find perseux ,unitas and other nowadays rare movements for a smal amound. But he is the only one I know, who works himself through this watch type. You also find this watches often in top condition because they haven't been for daily use usually.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; July 31st, 2014 at 10:31.

It seems my father in law had a thing for pocket watches...lol..I seem to be finding them all over and cant find anything about themName:  IMG_20140731_121335.jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  253.3 KBName:  IMG_20140731_121400.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  204.2 KB

The first one is a stopwatch. I don't know anythink about them but I guess the little indicator adds the minutes. I would say: Just play . A watch is a watch and probably some of the guys over here knows some thing.

The Elgin is that what I call a real poket watch. American Pocket watches are well documented and the guys who collect american pocket watches can tell you date of production grade and so on. But they need a little more than pictures of the face. I think it will be a good idea to make a own thread for her. Usually in the Casetop you find marks of the casemaker and if its gold filled or gold. Most interesting is the heart. Try to open the backside and the dustcover. Use a blunt but stabile knife and press through the lid and case and turn the knife back from you against the case. Usually there is a intervention often between 12 and 1. Otherwise consult your watchmaker. But STOP ..american. There its often differend. You usually can rotate it without any tools. There should be a screwtop. You cant make something wrong. Just put the watch between your palmes and try to turn with soft force. On the movement there is a number and this is important for the production date. A pic from the whole movement is very good for explainig, very nice and that what we love.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 1st, 2014 at 13:48.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    You also find this watches often in top condition because they haven't been for daily use usually.
    Silke is correct about this. I bought my dad one of these 6498 HC Colibris with a personal engraving as an Xmas gift in 1980, but I don't think he ever wore it. Though still base metal the case was nice looking as was the dial.

Name:  2011 01 17 colibri b.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  123.2 KBName:  colibri b.JPG
Views: 2711
Size:  186.2 KBName:  Colibri a.JPG
Views: 2698
Size:  257.3 KB

The case is actually 16s with thick sides to accommodate the the small (10s?) movement.

Here is another Colibri HC P/W in a smaller case using a Swiss wrist watch movement. A thick nylon spacer ring for case placement. These differ from the 6498 as the have a sweep second hand and the 6 numeral is visible.

Name:  colibri W.JPG
Views: 2698
Size:  275.6 KB

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information