Old Doxa pocket watch

Thread: Old Doxa pocket watch

Old Doxa pocket watch

I have posted same thread on doxa forum, if that is a problem, moderator can delete one thread. This is my question:

There is a very old (over 100 years I think) doxa pocket watch in my family. I'm interesting in how really old is it, and how much is it worth.
    Here is what is engraved:

"Rubis doxa. Ancre ligne droite.
    Levees visibles. Double plateau."

Glass and clock-hands are not original, everything else is.
    There is something like serial number engraved on both caps - 35598(after last number there's a sign that looks like reversed/horizontally flipped C).

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Re: Old Doxa pocket watch

Rules indicate that valuations are not allowed to be given on watchuseek forums, but I'd try looking for something similar on eBay to compare it too. Now that we're playing by the rules, some pictures of the movement would be useful. It seems like this is a nice older Swiss Doxa, probably around the late 1800s or early 1900s.

I'm really sorry, I didn't know about that rule. My English is not so good, so I don't really understand what you mean when you say picture of the movement?
    I think that your opinion about age of the watch is probably right. My grandfather inherited it from his father who was "Husar" (husars were mercenary army for austro hungarian empire).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Case back and front on the Doxa should have a Serial , they first two numbers usually indicate date of manufacture, yours should indicate 1935, how ever (that don't look right), with out seeing the dial and movement , it is impossible to gauge the age from a case picture, is the movement original to the case? is the case a replacement? or the Case back and front replaced? Clearly the style of the case would indicate 1890's case.. so the serial is weird...maybe its backwards and then 1898 would be it's manufacture, anyhow good luck with your search...nice watch lid.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; December 20th, 2010 at 16:41.

The movement is the main part of the watch responsible for the ticking and time keeping. It can be found under the "dust cover"; the dust cover is the round engraved cover with the words and pictures on it. You should see a hinge to the left of the wording/engravings, meaning the cover should open from the right. Once this is open you should see something that looks similar to this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all. Next Monday I will be able to post couple more quality pictures. Maybe that will help.

The current Doxa company has no real relation to the one of your era, and none of the WUS Doxa people really know these vintages. They are more fans of the dive watch company that it is now. That being said, Doxa made some excellent watches back then. I have one from about the same time that I'd love to get repaired, but the parts no longer exist.
    These old Doxa pocket watches are not extremely sought after, so they tend to value low.
    "My grail showed up today"

If you watch is in good enough condition, or you would like to get it running again, most independent watch makers/repair shops can machine their own parts. I know Andre Fleury on the West coast (San Francisco I think) make his own watches - movements and all. his website is here: www.sacha-fleury.com

Hello guys. Here are some pictures of the watch. Maybe that will help. Party-vi thanks, but watch is running o.k.

Thread Information