Old Eaton's "Solar Aqua" house brand watch?

Thread: Old Eaton's "Solar Aqua" house brand watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Eaton's "Solar Aqua" house brand watch?

I have an old watch I am trying to just figure a little better what it is.

On the face it reads "Solar Aqua" with no other marking.
    On the end of the stem it reads: "Rolex Oyster".
    On the inside of the back cover it reads:
    "Montres Tudor S.A."
    "Geneva Switerland"
    "Patented"
    "Stainless Steel"

Is this one of the Eaton's house brand watches from the 40's/50's/60's sort of thing? I've been cruising around the internet today trying to find out some more about my watch.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Eaton's "Solar Aqua" house brand watch?

Yes its been sold through a Canadian Eatons store in the 50's to early 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyvoyager View Post
    Yes its been sold through a Canadian Eatons store in the 50's to early 60's.
    Thanks for the information Fantasyvoyager. Would have an idea why it has "Montres Tudor" on the inside of the cover but "Rolex Oyster" on the end of the stem?

Ottawa, eh. . . I live in Orleans.

Take Care,

Jim. . .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    Thanks for the information Fantasyvoyager. Would have an idea why it has "Montres Tudor" on the inside of the cover but "Rolex Oyster" on the end of the stem?

Ottawa, eh. . . I live in Orleans.

Take Care,

Jim. . .
    Well probably because It is an Oyster case, and becuase it is a re-branded tutor. Movement looks to be an ETA 1080/81
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

My instincts say it's a franken assembled by someone looking to cash in on the popular perception that some Solar branded watches actually contained Rolex movements. The dial doesn't really mesh with any of the solar's I've seen. The case style suggests 50's, which means the case should say "Oyster Watch Company". But the movement doesn't really look as well finished as I would expect for either a Rolex or even a Tudor. Does the crown screw down? You might have to get someone to remove the dial to see if there's a Rolex marking there.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    My instincts say it's a franken assembled by someone looking to cash in on the popular perception that some Solar branded watches actually contained Rolex movements. The dial doesn't really mesh with any of the solar's I've seen. The case style suggests 50's, which means the case should say "Oyster Watch Company". But the movement doesn't really look as well finished as I would expect for either a Rolex or even a Tudor. Does the crown screw down? You might have to get someone to remove the dial to see if there's a Rolex marking there.
    Yes, the crown screws down which you can sort of see from the shot I took with the back cover removed.

I can say that it is highly unlikely that anyone ever messed with this particular watch as it was ~ 1967 when I received it from the wife of a retired school bus driver whose watch it was (his wife got him a new watch for Christmas). It was given to me by the wife as my Christmas present (I was a 12 year old newspaper delivery boy at the time). The watch was given to him new years earlier as a present from his half brother, Walter Pigeon (the actor). Neat story all to say that the watch is what it is. I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

Take Care,

Jim. . .

Hmm...could be. I found a few others that are similar, like this one: Steel Mid Size Rolex "Tudor" Oyster Wrist Watch. c.1950's

Are there no numbers engraved on the back or on the case? Anything visible under the balance wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Hmm...could be. I found a few others that are similar, like this one: Steel Mid Size Rolex "Tudor" Oyster Wrist Watch. c.1950's

Are there no numbers engraved on the back or on the case? Anything visible under the balance wheel?
    There are 2 numbers on the back plate near the edge (7803 and 75827). Looks like 1182 under the edge of the wheel.

Take Care,

Jim. . .

Well, that lines up with what I know of the Tudor line; the case references is 7803, and the serial number puts it in the early 50's. 1182 refers to the base caliber of the movement; it's an ETA 1182. I still have reservations about the dial, but that may have been the Eaton's influence, and it certainly looks old enough.

2 different named Dials used on Rolex watches sold by Eatons, Solar Aqua, the other eludes me at the moment( Something..wing), so dial is definitely correct for re-branded Eatons watches.

Remembered the Name : King Wing ... I guess a play on the Rolex Air King.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; May 17th, 2011 at 22:55.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information