old elgin watch - need repairs

Thread: old elgin watch - need repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

old elgin watch - need repairs

Hello all! First time poster, long time lover of pocket watches.
    I'm seeking some advice here,
    i recently picked up this watch

on eBay, and it doesnt work too well. When wound, it runs for a few minutes, then stops. I took it in to get a free estimate/inspection, and the watchmaker said something about "some thing" (i know nothing about watches) on the second hand is bent on the inside, and it's rubbing up against something else, causing it to stop. Definately could use a cleaning inside too [as i presume most old watches would!]

I also asked for a new glass crystal.
    He said $175 w/ crystal, $150 without, to completely fix everything. Is that too much?! seems steep! :(
    I really love how this watch looks, and would prefer to get it fixed as opposed to reselling it, even tho i only paid $40 for it on ebay, but it just looks very nice in my opinion.

I live in Canada and don't know where else i could go - aka: shipping it somewhere in Canada that does good work for cheaper.

Sooo, is $150-175 too steep? and anywhere you guys can recommend?
    i'll be for sure reading up on these forums, just found them, thanks!

adam

Re: old elgin watch - need repairs

I'm not sure about conversion rates or anything, but if you bought a vintage Elgin for forty bucks and it costs $175 to get it fixed, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Pay the 1-75 and get it fixed.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

You don't say what size it is? 12 size or 16? Caliber or amount of jewels. If a seven jewel 12 size watch you would have a lot into it. He most likely said the second hand post is bent and would likely break off trying to straighten it. Would need a new part. Not that the second hand is bent on the tube that holds it. I know that goods and service in Canada is higher cost and exchange rates.
    On the other hand we have vacationed there many times and it is beautiful.
    Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

$175 CDN for a full service and repair? I'd jump at it! Low cost vintage almost always cost more to service than to collect... the biggest beneficiary of my collecting jones is my watchmaker
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

You could try calliing Shane Ede in Toronto.
    http://watch-repairs.vrx.net/
    However your price estimate is not out of line for fixing up an antique Elgin.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by mrwatch54 View Post
    You don't say what size it is? 12 size or 16? Caliber or amount of jewels. If a seven jewel 12 size watch you would have a lot into it. He most likely said the second hand post is bent and would likely break off trying to straighten it. Would need a new part. Not that the second hand is bent on the tube that holds it. I know that goods and service in Canada is higher cost and exchange rates.
    On the other hand we have vacationed there many times and it is beautiful.
    Bob
    from an elgin database:

Search Results For "33794629"

Serial Number SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
    -------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
    33794629 33792001 5000 1932 303 12s o3n3p 7j

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
    ----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
    303 2215000 371 1903 1939 114 12s o3n3p 7j

Soooo, 12S and 7J. From what i've read, more jewels = better, and isn't 7 the lowest amount? Is it worth it to dump all the money into a 7j watch?

Generally it isn't worth fixing up a cheaper watch but if you like it, $175 isn't an excessive amount.
    I spent $300 on my grandfather's 7J Elgin but hey..how many watches can I expect to get from a guy who's been dead for 73 years.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

got it fixed and runs great. i have two questions for you resident watch experts:

1) im going to be using this watch 1 or 2 times a week (when i wear a vest).
    Is it in the watchs best interest (mechanical wise) for me to wind it every day? or will i prolong the life, without harm, to only wind it once, twice a week when needed.

2) is it ok to dance while wearing them in a pocket on the chain? or does moving around eratically cause harm to the intervals? OR-is it durable enough to keep ticking strong during dancing? (ensuring i dont smash it, which i wouldnt)

Personally I'd wind and set it when needed. It won't do any harm either way though. Watches were made to run.
    It may go a bit longer between services if you don't run it continuously.
    If you have it on a chain so it won't fall and break, and you are not planning on slam dancing, I don't think some movement will matter. They danced back in the pocket watch era, and it was probably the Charleston when that watch was new.

im a b-boy ;)
    im not talking about getting waltzed/foxtrotted around in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information