Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FSMorandini
  • 1 Post By FSMorandini
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: A old family watch without an ID

A old family watch without an ID

Hello everyone! I'm Filip from Croatia and I just runed up to this awesome forum.
    For my first (and hope from many more ) post I have a question and I'm looking for an opinion about a vintage watch that I inheritated. Sorry if the thread is opened in a wrong section.

The watch is from the (mid?) 50s and it is in a pretty bad shape, so I hope it will do for recognising the model's name. I found this picture (http://omegaforums.net/attachments/i...6-1-jpg.26729/ ) but I'm not 100% sure that it is the same watch.
    JP71624 likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A old family watch without an ID

Welcome to the Vintage Forum. You seem to have picked a pretty good match. Universal Geneve from the fifties or early sixties. As for model name, a lot of watches didn't have a model name those days, just a reference number. The watch will probably have either a bumper wind movement (in which case something thuds about slightly inside as you shake it) or a microrotor movement, making it especially slim. Here are some pictures of possible candidates:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Universal 138

...and:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Universal 215

Universal Geneve were once a notable company and you will find quite some information on the web. They still exist but are trying to regain their lustre somewhat. Your watch really doesn't look in such a bad shape from here. Have it serviced and it will keep you good time and remind you of your ancestors.

Hartmut Richter

I agree that outside of the bracelet it looks to be in pretty good condition. A Universal Geneve from that era is certainly worth investing a few dollars into for a service and a clean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear sir,
    I'm very thankful for you great and accurate reply.
    It really does thud while shaking it, so it's definitely the first kind of movement. The watch is definitely from the 50's because I know the story about how my grand-grand father got it. I'm not just sure about the exact year, but it's definitly from the 50's.

I can't say how much I appreciate your reply, because now I know the technical story behind the watch.
    Thank you very much!

PS
    I plan to invest into a good cleaning and renovation, and be sure I'll post a nice new picture of my timepiece.
    Last edited by FSMorandini; November 25th, 2013 at 23:14.

Here are some new pictures on my wrist. Unfortunately, the bracelet is quite damaged, and I prefer rather leather stripe.

Last edited by FSMorandini; November 26th, 2013 at 20:57.
    Nordwatch likes this.

If it has a bumper wind, it will be more likely to be from the early fifties. Universal brought out their "Microtor" movement in 1955. Some more information about microrotors here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/uni...nd-335581.html

Hartmut Richter
    FSMorandini likes this.

Thanks for the update. I'm delighted with the watch and how it fits on my wrist.

I'm just interested on how did the original bracelet or stripe looked like. Is the bracelet from the first picture the original one? If not, does anybody know which one is?

Furthermore, are there any new pictures of my watch on the web? I'm quite interested about how it originaly looked like. I posted a link in my first post containing a picture of a similiar (or the same?) watch.

Hi and welcome
    Universal Geneva were and are again great manufacturer.
    Any Museum would keep their pieces.
    I saved one a few days prior to leaving the Museum I was a guest curator in
    ENJOY!
    FSMorandini likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

The bracelet is almost certainly not original - it is a generic Speidel expanding bracelet which was intended to fit any watch. The original may well have been a leather strap, it would certainly suit the watch.

Hartmut Richter
    FSMorandini likes this.

Thread Information