Old Fortis

Thread: Old Fortis

Old Fortis

Hello,

I have had this watch for some time now but know very little about it. It's a nice little watch measuring 29mm not including the crown. I have looked on the internet but I haven't found any info on such a watch. I was hoping someone here can help me find out some more about it, such as approximate age, movement, model name/number or any bits of info you can think of.

Regards
    Engineer

Re: Old Fortis

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer03 View Post
    Hello,

I have had this watch for some time now but know very little about it. It's a nice little watch measuring 29mm not including the crown. I have looked on the internet but I haven't found any info on such a watch. I was hoping someone here can help me find out some more about it, such as approximate age, movement, model name/number or any bits of info you can think of.

Regards
    Engineer

Fortis has reinvented/remarketed itself as a supplier of upper end dive watches. I don't think they ever made their own movements.

You have a decent watch from the 1950s (based one dial and case styling).

The case is chrome plated with a stainless steel back and it contains a nice quality Swiss AS 1220 movement.

Looks terrific~Cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Fortis reinvented as a supplier of upper-end dive watches?

Fortis continues to be the supplier of choice for the Russian space program and largely offers aviation-related watches. That these can also be used for diving because they are rated water-resistant to 200m reflects not diving usage, but rather the cases that Fortis uses.

My Guinand aviation-themed watch is rated to 200m, but I'd never go swimming with it on (largely because it really messes up the leather band...).

They're working on their website, but you can see some of the current models here. The B-47 calculator GMT watch with three time zones is interesting, but scarcely a diver's watch...

There is the MarineMaster model series which would qualify as diver's watches, but the vast majority of their model selection is aviation- and space-themed. They continue to offer official cosmonaut watches.

JohnF

PS: Fortis offered the first commercially available automatic watch using the Harwood winding system, and were largely very much a small watchmaking company offering watches like the one you show until the 1980s, when they moved to aviation-themed watches after surviving the quartz crisis...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -
    Fortis reinvented as a supplier of upper-end dive watches?
    Sorry. I may have been thinking of Doxa rather than Fortis.

Hi -

That makes perfect sense: Doxa has really done exactly as you said...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information