Old ladies on parade

Thread: Old ladies on parade

Old ladies on parade

Old ladies' Hamiltons, that is. I thought I'd show off my collection so far.

In the late 1910s, Hamilton introduced a ladies pocket watch with closed lugs at the top and bottom so that you could attach a bracelet (included with purchase) and wear it as a wristwatch. I think these were sold until 1924. The movement serial number dates this one to 1923:

Around this time, Hamilton offered closed-lug versions sold on ribbon straps. They were available in round, tonneau, cushion, and decagon shapes; each shape was offered as either a plain case or an engraved one. Both of these are dated to 1925:

I've also got one with the cushion shape but the tonneau dial and engraving pattern. Quite puzzled by that one...

Moving forward a few years, the Wellesley dates to the early 1930s. I haven't cracked the case on this one to get the serial number.

(the dial is actually in great shape - the crystal, not so much)

We'll end in 1939, with one of the few black-dialed ladies' watches offered by Hamilton in the pre-Swiss days. This is a Leta:

Re: Old ladies on parade

That's a nice set you have.

We don't see enough ladies' watches in here.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Agree. Nicely chosen style variety. Perhaps other early ones could be added here.

Editing to correct my images not successful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; October 27th, 2011 at 14:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lovely watches. We need more women's watches in here.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

We do, perhaps we can actually stimulate an interest in them! I have just a few old cylinder movements of which at 1911 this one is the oldest. And it is tiny!

There is an advantage to collecting ladies' watches - not so many bidding wars. I think the pocket/wrist watch was my priciest buy at around $60.

Love that Waltham - it would be the perfect watch to wear while driving, although I don't know when else those side lugs would come in handy. Maybe it could go on my largest cat's collar; that would make at least one of those critters useful around the house...

My next target are the early 1930s, when Hamilton and Illinois produced some beautifully engraved cases. They're markedly smaller than the watches from the early 1920s, which have 28mm cases. The visible dials of the Wellesley and Leta are 10mm x 15mm, which is huge compared to the dials on my 1950s/1960s Hamiltons. That diamond Lady Elgin is gorgeous but not terribly useful for checking the current time.

If I actually want a watch for telling time, I wear my Stowa!

Quote Originally Posted by coastcat View Post
    There is an advantage to collecting ladies' watches - not so many bidding wars. I think the pocket/wrist watch was my priciest buy at around $60.

Love that Waltham - it would be the perfect watch to wear while driving, although I don't know when else those side lugs would come in handy. Maybe it could go on my largest cat's collar; that would make at least one of those critters useful around the house...

My next target are the early 1930s, when Hamilton and Illinois produced some beautifully engraved cases. They're markedly smaller than the watches from the early 1920s, which have 28mm cases. The visible dials of the Wellesley and Leta are 10mm x 15mm, which is huge compared to the dials on my 1950s/1960s Hamiltons. That diamond Lady Elgin is gorgeous but not terribly useful for checking the current time.

If I actually want a watch for telling time, I wear my Stowa!
    When I see a nice ladies watch that looks well preserved I'll often buy it, get it serviced, and give it away as a present. If you can give a knowledgeable history of the watch; point out its features; and show how to care for it, ladies often react like they were in Tiffany's getting a future heirloom (I confess I usually confine myself to fairly modern vintage for these gift watches. Too early and they have form factor issues.)

And if I actually want a watch for telling time, I wear my Longines VHP Perpetual Calendar. If less than 5 seconds error does not bother you, you need only reset the time at daylight savings change overs
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

An American made Bulova 18k and fine diamonds. 23j, 6 adjusts. Unusual combination for a little Bulova.

A cheap buy 30 yrs. past maybe because band and movement not original

Last edited by artb; October 27th, 2011 at 15:01.

I applaud the simplicity of that Bulova case. Too often, diamond watches are all about the diamonds - to the point where the dial is unnoticeable. That Bulova has an elegant sparkle rather than a truckload of bling! I wonder if it was originally sold with a white gold bracelet or with a black silk cord strap?

Agree. Thats why I saved it. Inclined toward good 18k gold plain band originally since from a gold buyer who would optimize profit by separately selling. Older movement here like original.

Thread Information