Is this old Lanco worth repairing ?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is this old Lanco worth repairing ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this old Lanco worth repairing ?

Good evening,
    I have this old Lanco, possibly 1930s as it has 2/2/40 scratched inside the case back.
    Name:  P1000434.JPG
Views: 991
Size:  119.5 KBName:  P1000436.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  122.1 KB
    I had the crown replaced a while ago and the repairer warned me that the thread inside the movement was very worn, but he could not fix this as he had no suitable parts. The thread has now worn out and I cannot wind the watch.
    Should I try to get the watch repaired, or is it not an worth it ?
    The watch had been serviced before I bought it and it ran very well, a very good timekeeper.

Re: Is this old Lanco worth repairing ?

That is one exceedingly nice vintage Lanco, so I'd try to get it back to running condition. Parts for the movement may hard to come by, though, so you may want to consider to replace the movement with one the same size. (I know this sounds heretic to many, but if the alternative is condemnation to the watch box, I'd go for a new movement...)

Just my two cents...
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

It's hard to know what's wrong with this watch by your description, if it only needs a new stem it would be worth
    tracking one down as that is an easy repair. You would first need to know the caliber designation of the movement, stems
    are often readily available, even for obscure calibers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree, nice 1930s Lanco. It could even be a little earlier as this case style was used for a very long time, dating is horribly difficult.

A stem should not be a problem, if it is this thread being discussed. There are many options to save it - but they are all time consuming (apart from sourcing the correct replacement stem yourself, which would be very cheap).

If the question is of pure economics - unless you can find the stem yourself, then in pure $ terms, no it won't be worth it. Unfortunately Lanco are simply not worth a lot of money (apart from the lanco-fon).

Me, I'd fix it regardless, but I am not entirely sensible when it comes to watches.

Here's one of mine.

Last edited by trim; November 21st, 2012 at 22:20.

Sorry, but my knowledge of the inner workings of watches is beyond my ken. I rely on expert repairers for this.
    As I understand it, when he replaced the crown and stem, he found the thread within the watch, within which the stem turns, was very worn. This inner thread has now worn-out, so the stem, when turning, makes no connection and turns freely and the watch cannot be wound.
    I can still adjust the time when the crown is pulled-out, but cannot make the watch work.
    I hope this is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlaw View Post
    Sorry, but my knowledge of the inner workings of watches is beyond my ken. I rely on expert repairers for this.
    As I understand it, when he replaced the crown and stem, he found the thread within the watch, within which the stem turns, was very worn. This inner thread has now worn-out, so the stem, when turning, makes no connection and turns freely and the watch cannot be wound.
    I can still adjust the time when the crown is pulled-out, but cannot make the watch work.
    I hope this is clear.
    I'm afraid that made no sense to me at all.

I can say that, repairing it, and selling it would no doubt result in a loss. This is clearly a more troublesome repair than a simple stem swap. Only you can made the call if it is worth it to you.
    Last edited by trim; November 22nd, 2012 at 01:52.

Define "worth". Any mechanical watch is going to cost you to keep it serviced, new or old. A watch like this is simple to service, but difficult to fix. However, its a lot easier now then it was a few decades ago, thanks to the internet. Even a small-scale watchmaker can find parts or donors with relatively little effort. ON the other hand, you're paying for their time, and skilled labor isn't cheap. Any serious repair is going to run you many hundreds of pounds. Its usually never cost effective to repair a vintage watch, unless the watch is very special. Those of us who do it do so because we recognize (amongst other things) that once gone, these pieces of history cannot be brought back.
    vbomega, john87300 and rwickens like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Perhaps winding pinion teeth are worn off?

Maybe we should start by attempting to identify the movement. Only once we did that, it is possible to go for spares. I agree, probably the winding pinion is worn out - had a similar issue on a Mido recently. (However, its movement being a more-or-less-standard ETA, replacement was not an issue.) Unfortunately, as I'm travelling I'm far from my resources, so may I ask one of the experts to come up with a suggestion for the movement? Thanks!
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Great looking watch...I would ID the movement and search up the parts and/or a parts movement. The case, dial and hands are just beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information