Old Leonidas Chronograph Worn Lug Hole Solutions?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By radger
  • 1 Post By Mirius

Thread: Old Leonidas Chronograph Worn Lug Hole Solutions?

Trying to figure out what to do with this watch. Love the size and want to maybe one day get it repaired and serviced, but the spring bar holes in the lugs are worn so that the come up right against the edge of the lug or were drilled through the edges. Is there a real danger that the lug holes could split if I wear this watch, is soldering or epoxying a spring bar or metal rod into the holes a good way to address this? Another suggestion was find a jeweler who does laser welding.

Welcome suggestions on your experience with spring bar holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Leonidas Chronograph Worn Lug Hole Solutions?

I don't think that there's any danger of the lug here. Well, if there is, it isn't an imminent one. Although it looks worn alright. If to do anything at all, leave fixing the case to a jeweller. Yeah, that's one of the really few examples of when a jeweller is any good with watch repairs. Better to have a good craftsman fix it properly, than (hell, no!) trying to fix that with epoxy or anything like that. Glue/epoxy and watches? No. Just, no.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

you now have the challenge of finding another case fleabay etc will be your hunting grounds for a while until one turns up
    check your measurement and then only have this case repaired when you have usable alternative, then when you have a spare case you can get another movement
    oh the joys of collecting
    I wish i could think of something funny to put here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a very nice looking chrono from a good maker and deserves to be worn.

Those lugholes look to have many years of life left in them yet but those spring bars are a definite weak point.

The springbars you have fitted (type1 in my pic) are designed for modern watches where the lugs are only partially drilled through.
    The cheap Chinese spring bars available on Ebay and from other retailers these days leave a lot to be desired, are of
    one small diameter to fit all and are sloppy and insecure in vintage watches of your type.

They'll sell them in sizes to fit between the lugs only and with no regard to diameter or depth of lughole.

The correct type of spring bar for your watch is either number 2 or 3 below, wheras your watch has been fitted with
    type 1.
    Number 2 is of the telescopic type wheras number three fits one lug size only.

The spring bar should come through the hole almost the full width of the lug and be of the correct diameter. They
    are removed by pushing them from through the hole wheras type 1, as in your watch, is designed to be removed by a spring
    bar forked tool.

Have your watchmaker fit the correct type of springbars and I guarantee your strap will feel and will be 100% more secure.

redcow, eri231 and tinknocker like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

You may find that using the correct type of spring bar i.e. ones designed for lugs which are drilled through rather than ones designed for hidden holes will give you a more secure fit.

Edit: Radger beat me to it with a much more comprehensive post.
    radger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    You may find that using the correct type of spring bar i.e. ones designed for lugs which are drilled through rather than ones designed for hidden holes will give you a more secure fit.

Edit: Radger beat me to it with a much more comprehensive post.

Annoying when that happens :)

Thread Information