Old Longines Gold Watch

Thread: Old Longines Gold Watch

Old Longines Gold Watch

Hi,
    I have inherited an old watch and I want to know more about it, as in how old it is, a model name etc… I was told that by removing the back cover I can get details to help my search, but I have no idea how to do this. The following photos may help someone to explain to me what to do, I hope.

Thank you for any help!!

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  762.5 KB
    Name:  back.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  740.5 KB
    Name:  sideview.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  573.0 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Old Longines Gold Watch

Welcome to Watchuseek and congratulations on your watch. Is it gold or gold plated? I can see something like a hallmark on the side of the case (to the right of the crown) but the staining on the back end of the lugs must be either dirt or the plating wearing off. As for age, it looks a little like 1950s or even late forties. Given the bevelling on the edge of the back case, it may unscrew; failing that, it should have a snap on back, in which case the edge of the back cover should have a notch opposite the crown to insert a sharp knife and pry it off. Don't do it if you don't know how, get a watchmaker to do it.

Hartmut Richter

The hallmark appears to say .375, which is the designation for 9k solid gold. The rear cover could be a screw down, so you may want to try unscrewing it rather than popping it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If and when you do get the back off, here is a website that can help identify the year of manufacture, probably late 30s, early 40s in my opinion. The serial number you will want to use is on the watch movement, not on the case back. Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss

Thank-you all so much for your replies!

The mark on the side says 375 though the 3 & 7 are extremely faded. I can see no notch on the back cover so I will assume it is a screw, but is there a tool for that? To grip better? As my attempts to unscrew thus far have been futile!

Thanks again!

Hi - and another welcome!

It is extremely similar to a watch I own branded as Bravingtons (full thread here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...se-390447.html ):

The back on mine does indeed simply unscrew. There are tools to get a better grip - devices with a suction cup and a cheaper ball, Rubber Screwball 'HORB' Case Back Opener. Watch Tool - Bergeon Swiss Made Watchmakers Tools, Horotec Watchmakers Repair Tools, Screwdrivers, Consumables Unbranded versions of the ball type can be had very cheaply off ebay. But try anything soft first such as the back of a mousemat to get a better grip or a bundle of parcel tape - nothing metal or it will scratch. If you fail ask a watchmaker, if you have one locally, if he can open it for you.

Lovely watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information