Old not so popular watches

Thread: Old not so popular watches

Old not so popular watches

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about the Henry Gireaux Watch Co.? I inhered one, but can't seem to find any information on line about this company, besides the few that are for sale on Ebay.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Old not so popular watches

Post moved. Pics of front, back and movement would be of great help.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I know nothing about the brand, but from this one that's available on eBay (Vintage Henri Gireaux 17 jewel Man's gents wrist watch with band | eBay) that shows a non-signed movement, it makes me wonder if it was the name of a jewelry store that sold their own brand of watches. Just a thought.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

According to Mikrolisk, Henri Gireaux was a brand of "Henri Gireaux watches/Victor Huff" of New York, registered in July 1956. Victor Huff also used the brand name "Bernhuff Watches" which was registered in 1948.

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6rkGIXb5LC4C&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq="victo r+huff"+watches&source=bl&ots=M1R7hWQojp&sig=6J216 Q7hZkRFuMfV3WqcSb_lPUI&hl=en&ei=_mTgTpWVH9HVsgalk-npCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0C E8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q="victor huff" watches&f=false

tim
    Last edited by erasuretim; December 8th, 2011 at 08:20.

I have one that contains a Russian Poljot 2409 movement
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Wow, that's some pretty great info. Thanks Y'all. I will be posting pics soon.

So now that I know when and where they were located, what's the next best step to gaining some insight into their watch history? Simply googling them yields less than fantastic results.

Matthew

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheJohnP View Post
    I know nothing about the brand, but from this one that's available on eBay (Vintage Henri Gireaux 17 jewel Man's gents wrist watch with band | eBay) that shows a non-signed movement, it makes me wonder if it was the name of a jewelry store that sold their own brand of watches. Just a thought.
    That one has a Soviet-built Poljot 2414 movement (apart from the ratchet wheel replaced). However the case does not look a Soviet design. From that I woud assume that the movement was probably cased-up in the USA, which would have been the intended market according to the Mikrolisk info. The style of the dial is early/mid 1960s, when some Soviet movements were being used in watches sold in the USA (obviously with their origins well disguised).
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information