Old Omega
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old Omega

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old Omega

I posted this earlier (but in the wrong thread).

Original post -

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone could help me.

I've had this watch in my collection for some years and have never found out anything about it.

Does anyone have any info on it ?
    Is it an automatic ?? rough date of it ??

Cheers

Re: Old Omega

I am guessing a bit here:

I think looking at the style that this is a 1970's, maybe late 1970's vintage. It would not be a high end Omega, and it could be a fake. I the dial looks very odd to me.

Is it an automatic? Who knows, there is no movement shown, I would guess it is an automatic or a quartz, you would know better than us - does it start when why shake it or wear it - if so = Automatic.

Crack it open and share a photo or two and you will be able to get a lot more information. You can also get a ton of information at the Vintage Omega Database

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I am guessing a bit here:

I think looking at the style that this is a 1970's, maybe late 1970's vintage. It would not be a high end Omega, and it could be a fake. I the dial looks very odd to me.

Is it an automatic? Who knows, there is no movement shown, I would guess it is an automatic or a quartz, you would know better than us - does it start when why shake it or wear it - if so = Automatic.

Crack it open and share a photo or two and you will be able to get a lot more information. You can also get a ton of information at the Vintage Omega Database
    Thanks for the reply.

Would you know how to go about opening it ?? (is there a guide or a 'how to' on here at all??)

Cheers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^Ignore that. (I found a vid on youtube)

Here is whats inside -

Sorry the pic's are not great (from a camera phone..)

What do you guys think ?

I would take it to a jeweler or a watch maker and have them remove the back. Take a photo and post - people will tell you right away what the watch is and when it was made by the s/n on the movement.

Looking at the VODB - I think I have found the watch.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

1967 model - Ladies Watch - leather strap.
    485 Movement
    17 Jewels
    Manual Wind Watch - not an automatic
    Gold Plate

This is all just an educated guess, Omega has dozens of faces, shapes and styles, I think this one looks pretty close. Once you crack open the back you will be able to see the movement - you should see the Omega Symbol and a number under it, that will tell you for sure what the movement it.

It is a pretty basic watch, nice piece, but not worth all that much - maybe $300 - $400 on ebay, but who knows.

Not 100% sure, but it sure looks like a pretty close match.

Have fun with it.

The watch works perfectly well, I wound it up and it's going no problem.
    Last edited by 967stuart; June 11th, 2013 at 15:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I would take it to a jeweler or a watch maker and have them remove the back. Take a photo and post - people will tell you right away what the watch is and when it was made by the s/n on the movement.

Looking at the VODB - I think I have found the watch.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

1967 model - Ladies Watch - leather strap.
    485 Movement
    17 Jewels
    Manual Wind Watch - not an automatic
    Gold Plate

This is all just an educated guess, Omega has dozens of faces, shapes and styles, I think this one looks pretty close. Once you crack open the back you will be able to see the movement - you should see the Omega Symbol and a number under it, that will tell you for sure what the movement it.

It is a pretty basic watch, nice piece, but not worth all that much - maybe $300 - $400 on ebay, but who knows.

Not 100% sure, but it sure looks like a pretty close match.

Have fun with it.

Thanks Manks.

I can see the number beginning with 511 is the important one.
    I think this must be it - OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
    Just a little later than your post but the same range by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 967stuart View Post
    The watch works perfectly well, I wound it up and it's going no problem.

I can't read the movement number, it is under the logo in the top left of the movement - that will tell you the type for sure.

The movement s/n looks like it is 33,000,000 range, this would date it as 1971-1972.

Have fun with it.

manks

I cannot read the numbers. The long number is clearly the s/n - that will date the watch. If it starts with 511 - then the watch is a bit older - 1989 - which to me is too new.

Have a jeweler take a look at it, they will tell you exactly what you have. The movement does not look like a 485 - perhaps others can assist a bit more.

Cheers!

Ah that's great.

I got the watch as part of a purchase on Ebay, was 'random' lot of bits and bobs, the watches weren't even really shown (I was more interested in a pad).
    Got it all for £5 including postage!, The watch and other bits I didn't really want were all stuck in a draw and that's where it's stayed for the last few years until I found it again last night and got curious.

I might look into getting the watch serviced.
    Nice clean and new strap and give it to my wife as a gift.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information