An old Pierce watch - information sought.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: An old Pierce watch - information sought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An old Pierce watch - information sought.

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me anything interesting about the following cushion case Pierce watch. From Dr. Ranfft's site it seems to be a Pierce 103/Eclipse 10.5, and it is certainly beautifully finished. Unfortunately that information is not useful for dating the watch as the movement spans many years. I have looked around the internet and not seen anything much on these early Pierce watches.

The dial is pretty good, and I am tempted to enjoy the worn case as it is.

Would this watch have been worn on a leather bund style strap?

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Kris.

Re: An old Pierce watch - information sought.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me anything interesting about the following cushion case Pierce watch. From Dr. Ranfft's site it seems to be a Pierce 103/Eclipse 10.5, and it is certainly beautifully finished. Unfortunately that information is not useful for dating the watch as the movement spans many years. I have looked around the internet and not seen anything much on these early Pierce watches.

Kris.
    Bund style is a German WWII military trend that had its first rebirth in the 60s. As a reckless youth, I bought many a strap in Tijuana with leather that discolored my arm.

Killed my desire for the recent trend's interest in them.

I've ha a couple vintage Pierces, but in the past, never had much success dating or identifying them. I very much enjoyed them while I had them (more than a few years). The vintages were nice Swiss watches but popular in the U.S. (and we never wore Bund straps back in those days....).
    "My grail showed up today"

Laughing Re: An old Pierce watch - information sought.

:thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Hi All,

Kris.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the watch.

There's a bit about the brand in this thread

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/pie...on-405845.html

about Erik_H 's watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Nice watch. The cushion shape was popular between about WWI and approx. 1930. I would think that the fixed lugs would put it firmly at the early end of that range, as all my mid-1920s (OK...both my mid-1920s) watches use springbars.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Nice watch. The cushion shape was popular between about WWI and approx. 1930. I would think that the fixed lugs would put it firmly at the early end of that range, as all my mid-1920s (OK...both my mid-1920s) watches use springbars.
    Blast from the past.

Heh, I never saw that post Paleotime - sorry. Thanks for the info, I agree it would most likely be early 20s - partly because the finishing is better than the later ones I have since seen, and because this one is not marked as Pierce cal. 103 - hence was probably still an eclipse calibre from before Pierce took over.

Anyway, after almost 9 long months, it finally got to the front of the queue (actually the real truth is that I needed to tidy my bench and it seemed easier just to repair it than pack it away ). One of the first vintages I bought, needed a new staff and entry pallet jewel adjusted and shellac'd in the lever. Nothing much to say, except it didn't cost much - and it is now working again.

I guess in the scheme of things it is a watch equivalent of a Rat Rod.

Embarrassing photo is embarrassing. Yes - I had forgotten something important. It took me far too long to realise this was why it wouldn't wind properly . In the meantime I replaced the winding pinion and crown wheel...

Terrible temporary strap - but I wanted to wear it around for the day to make sure it was running OK (which it is).

Last edited by trim; December 19th, 2010 at 08:37.
    GUTuna and howards4th like this.

Fantastic job Kris. I take it the click spring got overlooked for a while? I have a couple of dead, rough, Pierce examples. Yours is nice - and, IMHO opinion, the strap suits it fine.

Another vintage back from the grave.

Name:  Applause.jpg
Views: 2848
Size:  4.4 KB

Thanks - although I didn't do much with the cosmetics, cleaned a little and otherwise left alone.

No, not the click spring. I didn't even see I forgot a bridge screw until I looked at the photo above. The missing screw permitted the bridge to flex and the winding pinion teeth to skip over the crown wheel teeth. I was being a total nub.

You know, there seems to be a lack of Marrick watchmaking threads around....
    Last edited by trim; December 19th, 2010 at 09:40.

I'm not doing any at the moment. In any case, my watchmaking 'skills' are very rudimentary. In fact my last 2 servicing attempts failed. And as my wife and I are in the process of buying a property for renovation, that we can't really afford, I daren't even look on ebay.

Maybe after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Maybe after Christmas.
    Ebay tells me that's only 6 days away

Sorry to hear the last few were problematic. I have some that are put away until I know more - and some of the very early ones I tried won't be back. Ever

Anyway, best of luck with the house I am still rennovating the project house we bought 13 years ago By 'still' I mean I haven't done anything for ages...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information