WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Old Pocket watch help please.

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  eccles 
#1 ·
A chap in work has just brought me his dads old pocket watch as he knows I like old watches to see if he can find anything about it. I told him I didn't know much about them but I know a place where there's lots of knowledge and lots of helpful people! :)

It looks to me to be a fairly low quality pocket watch, but it has one intriguing feature. There's a slider on the side of the case that moves a lever inside the watch acts on the balance to stop the watch.
At the moment the watch keeps very good time, but the centre second hand doesn't move, and the dial has suffered a bit from age.
Inside it says " Railway time keeper Swiss" and the case has the makers marks B W over a star, all in shield shaped stamps.
If anyone could give me an approximate age, or knows anything more about the 'railway timekeeper' bit I'd be eternally greatful.
Here's the all important pictures....

Many thanks in advance, Nick.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hacking sweep seconds was not common until WWII... so this is a bit rare. Closer pics of the hallmarks may allow us to date it. Your assessment as to the general quality of the piece appears correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.