Old Pocket watch maker?

Thread: Old Pocket watch maker?

Old Pocket watch maker?

I've found another old family watch, this one was my Grandfather's Grandfather's.
    I know zero about pocket watches but I have this one and an Elgin Gold plated half hunter, this one is 'white metal' (whatever that is) it has no markings on it that I can see.
    Inside the case back it states " WARRANTED PURE WHITE METAL" then
    * SWISS MADE* below that inside an oval, inside the inner case it just has 8200 at the top of case with 7288 at the bottom with 12 below that.
    There are 'jewels ' visible from the back of the movement but only about 3 / I can make out easily, it is key wound(original key) and runs very strongly and keeps fairly good time.
    Not concerned about the value but I am guessing its not alot I would just like a bit of information about the watch though I guess there were thousnds made like it if not milions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Pocket watch maker?

Hmm...it has the earmarks of an early (1900's) "Swiss Fake" eubache that was never actually shipped to America. The design is reminiscent of the early Waltham and Elgin full plate watches, but the finish is plain and the engraving on the balance doesn't look very deep. Watches like these were often given american "sounding" names in order to trick people into thinking they were the higher-quality American watches. That it's blank suggests that it never made it to America and was sold "honestly", although the use of english on the caseback gives me pause. Does the balance have two "cuts" through it (one on either side of the wheel)? Also, check the engraving on the balance cock carefully for the word "Swiss"; it might have been aimed at the English market, which required them to print the country of origin on it somewhere.

"White Metal" probably just indicates some generic alloy that contains no precious metals.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I can't see anything else on the balance cock and the wheel itself does have 2 cuts, 1 opposite each other.
    I only recently found this one out, I cleaned the outside and the visible workings very carefully,I wound it this morning around 06:40 GMT and its still going strong and ticks loudly, it has gained just under a minute since then so may be running a bit fast.
    I have just found the numbers 235911 and close by to it 48 on the inside face of the movement interior.
    Last edited by stefano34; March 11th, 2010 at 19:47.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are the cuts all the way through or only half way? And does the balance look like the outside of the circle is made of copper while the inside is made of steel?

I'm quite intrigued by this, but you may need to take it to a watchmaker to have him disassemble it; there might be numbers under the dial. You should get it cleaned before running it for any length of time, regardless, so that the pinions and bushings don't get ground away from lack of lubrication.

the cuts are approximately 1/3rd the way through and the balance wheel outer is made from brass/copper with the centre being made from steel

That's what I was afraid of. If the cuts don't go all the way through, they're just there for show to make people think it's a temperature compensated balance.

Thread Information