Old Russian movement - does it worth restoring?

Thread: Old Russian movement - does it worth restoring?

Question Old Russian movement - does it worth restoring?

Hi, first time ever on vintage forum... During the last visit to my parents I found this tiny movement which is about 50 years old, since Mom says it was Dad's present when they were just dating. I remember that nice watch which Mom wore as a necklace.

My first idea was to restore it and give it back to my mother, or may be restore the movement and put it into custom made golden case of my own design... That would be nice, I though. But when I asked a watchmaker (in Kiev, Ukraine) whether it was possible to put that movement into a custom case, he doubted it. Moreover I have no idea what is wrong with the movement, but it seems broken. You can't wind it, though you can move hands.
    So, what do you think? I know, my idea was good, but does this movement worth restoring. It is written Chaika (Чайка) on the dial and Made in USSR, and on the movement it is said 17 jewels, in English. Probably the watch was made for export.

Thank you.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Re: Old Russian movement - does it worth restoring?

Hi Igorycha,

This Chaika movement is commonly available and is a Chaika 1601A movement. I have some similar examples on my Watches of the USSR website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ladies-chaika-deco-style-uglich-watch-facrtory-1600-mvt.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	378417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ladies-chaika-chrome-case-uglich-watch-factory-1600-mvt.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	378418

It must be possible to put the movement in a bespoke watch case, you probably just have to find the right person willing to do it. Often watchmakers don't want to repair small movements like this because they are quite difficult to work on due to their small size. The movement was made in the Uglich Watch Factory 120km northeast of Moscow. Most staff who assembled watches in the Soviet watch factories were female because of their dexterity with the small parts.

You could source a working Chaika 1601 movement from Ebay and have the dial restored and swapped to the working movement. It would then retain its authentic appearance at least.

Hope you can make it happen.

Hi and welcome. I think it probably wasn't made for export - the dial is in Russian and that would have been in English if for export.

Anyway, mechanical ladies' watch movements are of very little monetary value. There are few female collectors, and the current fashion is for large watches. IF you could find someone to make a case for it, it would be very expensive. My guess is that your Mom may have sold the case for scrap (gold?) rather than have the watch repaired when it broke - otherwise it would still be in the case. You could spend a lot of money getting the watch repaired and recased. Your Mom may or may not be thrilled.

As Sekondtime has posted there are a fair few about. Search for 'Chaika ladies'.

Or search for 'Chaika pendant' to find a pendant case. E.g. CHAIKA LADIES' GOLD PENDANT WATCH USSR 1970's + CHAIN on eBay (end time 11-Feb-11 16:02:11 GMT).
    Last edited by Marrick; January 25th, 2011 at 10:14. Reason: See sekontdimes post
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, I thank you guys. Yes, I think the case was sold long ago, and that movement just survived hidden in one of the dozens of little boxes, you know. OK, then I should see what to do. Probably you right, Mom could be thrilled and could be not, in the end.
    Cheers
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Thread Information