Old Semag

Thread: Old Semag

Old Semag

Found this old watch on the bay and thinking about bidding on it. It would be around $16 US if I win. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Semag

Hi -

We don't do watch valuations online. Please read the sticky note at the top of the forum for the reason why.

That said, Semag is still around and listed in Biel, as Semag & Claro Watch SA, but they don't have a website or even email listed. Tel: 0323281023 (plus the country code from wherever you are dialing for Switzerland).

If you like it and want it, then bid what you are willing to pay for it. But we don't do valuations.

JohnF

PS: Did a tad more digging, and it turns out that Semag is Fossil's "captive" movement maker in Switzerland, with a fairly clear Chinese movement connection for the more modern watches. The company is recent, and dates from 1961, so your watch is no older than that.
    Last edited by JohnF; November 9th, 2008 at 18:51. Reason: Added PS
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks John, but I am not really trying to get a value of the watch. I wanted to know more about the type of quality of the watch and its movement. It is manual wind and dial and case looks to be in good shape.

-SB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Generic quality 1960s watch. It'll cost way more than it's worth to get it serviced.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

17 jewels indicates decent quality. If you like it, and the price isn't too high, go for it.

But as Ray says, if you want to use it, it'll need a service. And you would probably not get your money back should you then choose to sell it.

But you never know - I've today sold a one jewel Amida for £32!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It looks a little like an Adolf Schild AS 1240 series calibre:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1240

You can see very slight differences in bridge structure, presumably due to exact age and calibre specifications. Generic but good quality calibre, providing the overall state is OK (not too much wear, working condition), at 16 bucks you can't go terribly wrong.

Hartmut Richter

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

A minor point of detail is that Claro was founded by George von Burg in 1961, but he bought Semag, which already existed, so their history may go back further. This may make sense of 'Semag'-branded watches bearing bought-in ebauches from the late 1950s or early 1960s (e.g. the watch discussed in theis thread) even though Semag was bought by von Burg specifically for the manufacturing of ebauches.

Due to questions about 'new' calibre CL-888, there has been a lot of interest on the Chinese forum and elsewhere concerning the activities of Claro and Semag going back to the 1960s. Here's what we've got together on the Chinese watch industry wiki:
    http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...le=Claro-Semag

Thread Information