Old Smiths Watch - any information welcome

Thread: Old Smiths Watch - any information welcome

Old Smiths Watch - any information welcome

Hello, I've been reading this site with interest, and I was wondering if any of you could help me find out more about a Smiths watch that I own. It was given to me by my great-uncle about 30 years ago, and he had received it from an elderly lady in his parish. I have pictures of it below, and would really appreciate any information you might have about it. The face has Smiths written on it, and Made in England, and the back says "Rolled Gold Bezel" "20 microns" and a number "0220 15". It also says "stainless steel back". Thanks very much!

Re: Old Smiths Watch - any information welcome

Hi and welcome.
    What exactly do you want to know more about this watch?

Ladies
    Manufactured: SMITHS a British company
    gold plated case to 20 microns, back stainless steel.

Thats all, there is.
    Sorry
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Hi, that looks to be about late 1950's-early 1960"s design to me. It is a very nice looking watch, but should be cleaned and serviced if you wish to continue wearing it.
    Bob.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your replies; it definitely needs to be repaired and cleaned, but I have no idea where to get that done. I'm living in Canada at the moment. I'd love to find out the year that this was made and if there's any value attached to it. It's been lying in a drawer for a long time, and I came across it when packing up boxes. I've read about the history of Smith watches today, and it seems that those with Made in England written on the face are more collectible than others. It's not working, and I don't even know if it could be fixed to work again, but I'd like to find someone reputable to have a look at it.

Hi there,

It's certainly a pretty little thing! I think you will find it difficult to tie its age down to an exact year... Your best hope may be trying to find old advertising to give a more accurate indication of when the watch was sold... But I think that may prove a difficult task.

We do not provide valuations on the site. But you are correct in saying the 'made in England' signed watches generally command a higher value. That said, ladies watches do not bring anywhere near the money of the gents and I would suggest the service/repair will cost more than the watches value (post repair).

Good luck with it!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Thread Information