Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Control187
  • 1 Post By odd_and_vintage_fan
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 3 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 4 Post By Silvertouran

Thread: Old Timex from my grandfather

Old Timex from my grandfather

I found this old Timex head with my grandfather's things. Seems to be a manual wind (very sticky) and the time is running about 2 minutes fast a day, so it really needs a good cleaning.

I don't have an appropriate 18mm band right now so it's on a NATO. But I am hoping the local place can get it running accurately enough to wear and I can remember gramps whenever I look at it.

If the model jumps out at anyone let me know. Timex is so prolific that it's hard to find model info by picture alone and the case back is press, which I don't like messing with.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shum, James A and JOSE G like this.

Re: Old Timex from my grandfather

Ok, not to weird anyone out, but my gramps passed away in 2014 on 1/28, the day before my 32nd bday. I just noticed the date on the watch. It's stuck there, can't change it with the crown.

I think I am going to ask the watchmaker to keep it there if he can.

Always love an heirloom piece, regardless of its original price tag. Disabling the date function is an interesting idea.

Good idea to give it a trip to the spa and to wear it with pride!
    Control187 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks like it has a serial number under the 6 on the dial and the two last digits are the year of manufacture.

73?

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    It looks like it has a serial number under the 6 on the dial and the two last digits are the year of manufacture.

73?
    Good eye. It ends in 77. I totally missed it when I was snapping away.

I guess I can look up the whole SN and see if it pops anything like a model number and a movement.

I myself have lots of Timex watches. Yes, the last two digits on the right number down below at the dial gives you the year it was made.

What concerns the case back, it is NOT - repeat NOT - a snap back and good thing you haven't tried to mess around. All water-tight Timex watches or so called 'front-loaders', that means you have to go through the FRONT to access the movement.

For that, you have to remove the crystal with a crystal lift. It grabs the (acrylic) crystal, presses it together and you lift it out of the case. Then you are set for the next challenge – removing the crown. This construction has a split stem, that means you have to virtually tear it out. There are special tools for that, most watchmakers use tweezers as a lever. You turn the case around and the movement is bound to fall out onto the dial and hands. Whatever the reason was to open the watch, everything is put back in reverse order and if you find out it is still running slow or fast, same procedure as before. I have done that several times and sent a few Timexes to the happy hunting grounds (and also a Roamer Anfibio based on the same stupid system).

Lots of watchmakers don’t want to mess around with those Timex watches anymore. As a collector, I don’t mind if it is 2 minutes fast or slow (this specific type of watch) and try to avoid all the hassle as described before. On the other hand, if it’s your grandfather’s watch and you want to wear it, you have to give it a service. The fact that the watch is running fast means that it is not dried in oil or any other problem which would slow down the watch. It could be a magnetic issue with the hairspring (it is sticking together and beating faster then). This is something which can be done without opening the watch with a good de-magnetizer, which every watchmaker has.

Inside, there should be something like the good old M25 movement, no (0) jewels and a simple pin lever escapement. Don't get confused when you read 'Mainspring / battery', that is just a standard header for both types of watches:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Timex M25

These watches were made at affordable prices for the mass market, sturdy and reliable, but there are not the type one would normally spend money for a service after a certain time of use.
    Now in your case this is different. I also have an old watch from my grandfather where a service was ridiculous in view of the value, but it was his companion for many years at work, and I did not shy any cost and it even got a new balance staff and a lot of other work was done above a normal service. It is now running around +/- 0 seconds/day, high amplitude and zero beat error.

Here is a good video about opening a front loader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9igPfhzbM

So good luck with your project.

P.S. Greetings to Virginia. Last time I was there, attending the Northern Virginia Community College, near Arlington, Sandra Bullock was 4 years old and playing in the neighborhood. Those were the days...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 14th, 2016 at 21:15.
    Control187, Shum and derids like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I myself have lots of Timex watches. Yes, the last two digits on the right number down below at the dial gives you the year it was made.

What concerns the case back, it is NOT - repeat NOT - a snap back and good thing you haven't tried to mess around. All water-tight Timex watches or so called 'front-loaders', that means you have to go through the FRONT to access the movement.

For that, you have to remove the crystal with a crystal lift. It grabs the (acrylic) crystal, presses it together and you lift it out of the case. Then you are set for the next challenge – removing the crown. This construction has a split stem, that means you have to virtually tear it out. There are special tools for that, most watchmakers use tweezers as a lever. You turn the case around and the movement is bound to fall out onto the dial and hands. Whatever the reason was to open the watch, everything is put back in reverse order and if you find out it is still running slow or fast, same procedure as before. I have done that several times and sent a few Timexes to the happy hunting grounds (and also a Roamer Anfibio based on the same stupid system).

Lots of watchmakers don’t want to mess around with those Timex watches anymore. As a collector, I don’t mind if it is 2 minutes fast or slow (this specific type of watch) and try to avoid all the hassle as described before. On the other hand, if it’s your grandfather’s watch and you want to wear it, you have to give it a service. The fact that the watch is running fast means that it is not dried in oil or any other problem which would slow down the watch. It could be a magnetic issue with the hairspring (it is sticking together and beating faster then). This is something which can be done without opening the watch with a good de-magnetizer, which every watchmaker has.

Inside, there should be something like the good old M25 movement, no (0) jewels and a simple pin lever escapement. Don't get confused when you read 'Mainspring / battery', that is just a standard header for both types of watches:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Timex M25

These watches were made at affordable prices for the mass market, sturdy and reliable, but there are not the type one would normally spend money for a service after a certain time of use.
    Now in your case this is different. I also have an old watch from my grandfather where a service was ridiculous in view of the value, but it was his companion for many years at work, and I did not shy any cost and it even got a new balance staff and a lot of other work was done above a normal service. It is now running around +/- 0 seconds/day, high amplitude and zero beat error.

Here is a good video about opening a front loader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9igPfhzbM

So good luck with your project.

P.S. Greetings to Virginia. Last time I was there, attending the Northern Virginia Community College, near Arlington, Sandra Bullock was 4 years old and playing in the neighborhood. Those were the days...

WOW... that is a ton of info, thank you. I am glad my trepidation about the case back ended up being a good thing overall.

I actually have a degausser, so i will give that a try first.

I too have an old Timex from around 1975 which still works perfectly. Its about 30mm in diameter. These thing just run forever

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  1.32 MB
    Shum, JOSE G, busmatt and 1 others like this.

Thread Information