An old Vogt (?) Chronograph

Thread: An old Vogt (?) Chronograph

An old Vogt (?) Chronograph

Hello again! Thank you for joining me.

My father was given this watch by a friend of his a few years ago. The man was homeless. He brought it from Austria, to Portugal. My father used to help him, giving him money and friendship. His name translates to "lovable", and he really was! Anyway, he simply gave my father this watch.

Can you tell me about it? I have become interested in watches only recently; I looked in the internet and I gathered that Walter Vogt founded Fortis. I did not manage to find much on the specifics...

However old it may be, the watch fortunately is still running! :D

Name:  IMG_0385.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  1.56 MB
    Name:  IMG_0386.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  1.71 MB

Thank you!
    Last edited by MysticalWatcher; February 23rd, 2015 at 00:10.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: An old (?) Vogt Chronograph

Welcome to Watchuseek. That's a nice watch - the dial is typical late 1920s, early 1930s. To be able to say more, we would need to see the insides (inner back cover and movement). I should point out that there was more than one Vogt: there was also Richard Vogt who founded Mira Watch Co. in Biel (Bienne) so the watch may not be related to Fortis.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for the welcome and the reply! :D

My dad and I excitingly opened the watch! First time seeing so. This is fun... Here are the pictures:
    Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.65 MBName:  IMG_0393.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.42 MBName:  IMG_0395.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  1.39 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Hmmmmm. Not easy, that one. I suspect it's a Fontainemelon (FHF) movement, though. My reasons would be:

1. FHF were one of the larger movement makers and the likelyhood of finding one of their movements in such watches is quite good

2. The balance cock and lever cock (under the balance wheel) are of the right shape, also the exact positioning of the gears in relation to each other and to the rest of the movement

3. FHF had reasonably flexible bridge arrangements and similar ones can be found, e.g.:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 11, 19'''H5

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 1, 18.5'''H4.3

But for a definite identification, you would need to find a maker's mark or have a look at the "keyless works" (i.e. the setting mechanism) under the dial.

Hartmut Richter

Wow, that's a great analysis Sir. Yes, I would say that that picture there looks very much like the inside of the watch, hehe, cool.
    Not quite sure why I have come to like watches- but it's cool how this watch looks, it looks quite neat and tidy- I wonder if people of before really took the time to make things right and make them look good. Especially the dial looks quite magical I think. It's a thing of beauty in the inside yet it is made to keep track of time, something that most people would say it's quite cold and stern! :D

Now I just need to find a clock glass- it does not have a glass- and hopefully I will be able to carry it around, with great care tho.

Thanks for reading forum.

Usually its not to difficult to find a glas for a open Face pocket watch. The stock is still big enough. Search for an old watchmaker and handcraft man in your aera. A mineralglas give those old open face watches much more light and live ..I can't explain it but the difference is big to a plexi one in those cases.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information