Older Elgin Automatic shockmaster

Thread: Older Elgin Automatic shockmaster

Older Elgin Automatic shockmaster

I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this watch.
    It states Elgin self winding on the upper face, shockmaster on lower face with swiss below the 6.I bought it on Ebay and the seller said 40'-50's for age?
    The back says elgin self winding durapower, resistant to shock-water-dust and magnetism.
    I put it on and started wearing it-wound itself up and seems to keep accurate time.
    Who should I look to for a good cleaning?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Older Elgin Automatic shockmaster

At the top of the Vintage forum page is a connection to a sub-forum full of interesting articles, one of which shows you how to find watchmakers in the US. If you aren't a Yank, post your location and another member may be able to advise.

I doubt it is from the 40's... 50's or maybe 60's is more likely.

Nice find!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I think $19.99 was a good deal.
    Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Elgin used a number of self-winding movements. The Grade 607 is what is called a bumper automatic; the grades 643/644/645 are more normal automatics, with an eccentric weight moving around a central hub. These were all sourced from Switzerland.

Then there are the watches made using calibres 760/761, which was the only US-made self-winding movement with a free-sprung balance. This was extremely innovative for the time (it has a special balance that is unique to Elgin), but came too late to save Elgin from its fate.

Without a picture of the movement, it's hard to tell you anything. But only try to open the back if you feel comfortable doing so: otherwise, make sure the watchmaker writes down/tells you what is inside.

If, when lightly shaking the watch, you hear/feel the eccentric weight hitting something, it's a bumper movement (the weight doesn't swing freely, but rather can only move through ca 340° or so).

The use of "Shockmaster" means that the watch probably dates from 1954 at the earliest, as that is the first I can find using that name (my sources are not absolute, though). Most Elgin watches made using the 760/761 (the difference between the two has to do with the number of jewels used, with the 761 featuring a fully-jeweled winding mechanism) were the higher-end "Lord Elgin" models offered back then.

While I haven't been able to find the exact model, I'd date this no earlier than 1954 and no later than, say, 1965 or so (based on the fact that by that time, many Elgins would have been one of their electric, pre-quartz movements). It's probably got one of the 643/644/645 movements inside.

The seconds hand looks like a replacement: normally, Elgin seconds hands were significantly thinner and more filigrane that this...

You should get it to a watchmaker which specializes in these older watches to ensure that you have it working properly for a nice, long time.

Oh, and your price was a perfectly fine deal: cosmetically there's not much to complain about!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I dropped it off today to see what it needs.
    Only one listing came up using the search in the top of the vintage forum.They sell and service Rolex so I should be OK.
    Not many good watch repair shops in my location.
    Thanks for the info

Thread Information