Oldie Croton, well 70's Chrono

Thread: Oldie Croton, well 70's Chrono

JMS

Oldie Croton, well 70's Chrono

This one was an unexpected purchase, I fell upon it loved it and had to have it. The piece truly is a NOS piece after inspecting with a loupe, few storage marks not much. With Landeron movement, big chunky and squared its that cool era. Never thought about a green dial before. My pics are quickies as I unboxed it. After I remove all the years of finger prints will grab some more pics someday, the dial is twice as nice as the pics, darker, such an old school shade. It will go on a strap now though saving the signed bracelet. Now what to do with it, pop it in storage or what, at some point these should be worn I guess. Just noticed I got jagged edges upon resizing

This is the old Croton from the early 70's. The Landeron 248 is not as common in these as say the 7733. So basically any 70's 7733 would be comparable somewhat for the time period.

You would commonly see Croton Nivada on the dial. Such as Croton Nivada Sea Diver or Croton Nivada Grenchen Sea Diver. Nivada also used Sea Diver on the dials branded under their name only as in the pic below also so did Croton

This piece has the tell tale sign in the manufacture of the dial that distinguish its layout immediately as a Landeron vs. the Valjoux 7000 series. This trait extends back to the 50's Landeron pieces also, its always been there and was never an intention to remove it, was made that way for a purpose and in design of the movement. I'll bet you don't see it unless pointed out

This is a Sea Diver under Nivada

This is an earlier Sea Diver under Croton only
    The simply pleasure of holding life’s vintage treasures is truly a joy. Some stay, some go to make room for others, you play with them for a while then look for a new toy, it is an addiction at least, a fascination of what is no more at best!

BEST REGARDS,

JMS

Re: Oldie Croton, well 70's Chrono

The green dial looks surprisingly nice!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

JMS

yes it does, yes it does, thanks

Just something about it, had to hold it
    The simply pleasure of holding life’s vintage treasures is truly a joy. Some stay, some go to make room for others, you play with them for a while then look for a new toy, it is an addiction at least, a fascination of what is no more at best!

BEST REGARDS,

JMS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really, really like that one. Now I have to start looking for a green dial...
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

That looks great---I"ll bet it was'nt cheap!!

JMS

Quote Originally Posted by dougcee View Post
    That looks great---I"ll bet it was'nt cheap!!
    It was not bad about $500USD, quite a steal really, but got nailed a bit of customs so with exchange and customs maybe $590CAD. I think ppl have this thing against green dials!

Its using a white stitched black strap now!

I had it over to my guy yesterday as I picked up a Seamaster 300 from its full service, balance wheel assembly, detent, stem and stuff. He was impressed. The movement has never had a screw driver on it nor has it ever been adjusted. I am making a small adjustment to the timing to suite my habits. I should grab a pic of the movement it looks brand new, well is brand new

Some will look at the lume and think its been redone. How can tritium lume be so new looking? Is tritium not supposed to be brown? Not all tritium ages to brown or golden. I have seen some from the 60's that have not aged at all. Omega's for instance age quickly, quicker than others. Its a reaction in its composition, to the paint used in the dials, and a reaction to environment such as daylight and sunlight. Have a look at the white dialed Nivada in my pics, all original dial and tritium too and zero aging, mind you its hard in that pic to see the markers but are same color as the hands

Last edited by JMS; February 14th, 2010 at 14:35.

BEST REGARDS,

JMS

JMS

A couple pics of the movement. No need to time it actually it pretty much bang on but had to see inside. A couple tarnish spots on the case from almost 40yr old specs of something, not worrying about that today but someday!

BEST REGARDS,

JMS

Thread Information