Omega 18k Triple Calendar Moonphase watch
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Omega 18k Triple Calendar Moonphase watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Omega 18k Triple Calendar Moonphase watch

I am considering selling my above stated watch. The watch is all original and untouched (except for servicing ). The dial is original and needs to be redone. My question is simple, should I sell this watch as is, or send it off for restoration then sell? She runs well (keeps poor time) and all pushers work correctly.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Re: Omega 18k Triple Calendar Moonphase watch

The movement.

If it's in running condition, you will probably not recover the cost of service/restoration in an increased sales price. However, the quality of photos is an extremely important factor in selling a watch, and as an FYI - yours are really terrible.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you will not recover any service cost when selling the watch, provided that has been done professionally ($$$!). It defintively has a certain value above the precious metal value (which is often not the case). The Speidel gold plated stainless steel band is not very helpful when selling such a watch (although also rather old). I understand that the images shown here have just been made along with your questions in the forum; they have to be way better when actually selling the watch, and lots of information should go along with it. Get an estimate about the precious metal value to give you a bottom line, but, as I said, the watch should fetch a good premium above.

It would also be helpful to repeat the markings on the movement in text version, I can not recognize anything, but it should be a cal. 381 (ex Omega 27 DL PC AM) from around 1948 to the early 1950s.

Perhaps there are more markings of interest.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 26th, 2017 at 16:10.
    badbackdan likes this.

I agree, my pictures are no good. I took them early this morning for the purpose of illustration. Would a collector want this watch unrestored? That was my initial question, restored vs unrestored.

I think your question has already been answered twice, but let me try yet again. You should not "restore" the watch. It will not add to the value.

Edit to add detail: Your question is vague, but I think you may be talking about refinishing the dial, which almost always devalues the watch and makes it much less desirable for a collector. The only exception would be for a dial that is in really, really terrible condition so that nobody would even consider wearing it as is. For example, a dial that is terribly rusty or where the logo isn't even legible, or has been poorly refinished in the past. I don't think your dial is so bad, but it's hard to tell from your photos.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 26th, 2017 at 18:29.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think your question has already been answered twice, but let me try yet again. You should not "restore" the watch. It will not add to the value.
    Great thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post

Edit to add detail: Your question is vague, but I think you may be talking about refinishing the dial, which almost always devalues the watch and makes it much less desirable for a collector. The only exception would be for a dial that is in really, really terrible condition so that nobody would even consider wearing it as is. For example, a dial that is terribly rusty or where the logo isn't even legible, or has been poorly refinished in the past. I don't think your dial is so bad, but it's hard to tell from your photos.
    Exactly; I was more so speaking of complete restoration, including the dial. I will attempt to post better pics shortly. I cannot find any reference number - only a serial number.

Omega reference numbers are generally on the inside of the case-back. Serial number on the movement. For example, yours might be a ref 2473.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...details/14315/

Certainly the movement appears to be a cal 381as B-R mentioned: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 381

Here is another example with some good photos as a reference:

https://shop.connoisseuroftime.com/p...phase-18k-gold

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information