Omega 351 bumper

Thread: Omega 351 bumper

Omega 351 bumper

First watch repair post of 2013! :)

I have 3 Omega 351 parts movements in my junk so I decided to see if I could pick up something to make a good watch out of them. What I found was this decent looking Omega on the Bay for a reasonable price.

Name:  omega_351_before.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  84.9 KB

Said to be in not working condition, the hands looked wrong (not the right length for that dial), and the dial was so-so. In fact, I only noticed half the number "3" was missing when I got it yesterday. Anyway, an hour later, I had it all apart and cleaned:

Name:  omega_351_parts.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  163.3 KB

The mainspring arbor had rusted and broke off in the top plate. You can see in the upper left of the pic I used one of my parts watches to scavenge a mainspring barrel assembly and I decided to use the dial and hands from that watch too. Here is the finished watch:

Name:  omega_351.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  219.7 KB

On this textured dial, you can barely see the word "Omega" and "Seamaster", along with the cross hairs. I still like the overall look and don't mind wearing it like this. I may decide to send the dial out the have it redone.. not sure. I think overall the watch has a nice look to it.

BTW, after reading a previous post a few minutes ago regarding "Frankens", I would like to know your opinions on something like this. The dial and hands came off of a 351 parts movement I had. If I could validate that Omega made a watch with this dial, hands, and case configuration, would it still be a franken? This watch has a case reference of 2577, and all the pics I saw on the internet had the dial and hand configuration closer to this, than what was originally on the watch.

Happy New Year,
    Ron

Re: Omega 351 bumper

Looks good buddy :P I think i prefer the lack of "Omega" and "Seamaster" on the dial... simpler!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I wish I had your junk and I love the result.

I think it is inevitably a franken since it didn't come from the factory this way and neither did it arrive in this condition merely from service replacement of parts - though you could argue that this is what you have done. That said I think the whole franken thing only becomes an issue if you intend to try and pass it off as an original on the basis that Omega once made a watch in this configuration. I really wouldn't think going down that route would be credible at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    . . . . . BTW, after reading a previous post a few minutes ago regarding "Frankens", I would like to know your opinions on something like this. The dial and hands came off of a 351 parts movement I had. If I could validate that Omega made a watch with this dial, hands, and case configuration, would it still be a franken? . . . . . . .
    Not a franken - it's a "fun can" watch. Watchmaker assembles a watch for his own use without ill intent = no harm; no foul. p
    Last edited by pithy; January 1st, 2013 at 21:14.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    BTW, after reading a previous post a few minutes ago regarding "Frankens", I would like to know your opinions on something like this. The dial and hands came off of a 351 parts movement I had. If I could validate that Omega made a watch with this dial, hands, and case configuration, would it still be a franken? This watch has a case reference of 2577, and all the pics I saw on the internet had the dial and hand configuration closer to this, than what was originally on the watch.
    Omega almost certainly made the combo of a guilloche dial, Ref. 2577 and cal. 351 movement. I have a very similar watch:

My dial has had some repair work done(see the Omega Automatic and the offset marker), but the color is original, I think. To me, the tipping point between "Franken" and "non-Franken" is the serial number plate of the movement. If you were able to retain the same serial number plate and simply replaced the necessary parts from another watch, then it is nothing more than a proper repair job and nothing more needs to be said. However, if you swapped movements, even if both were of the same caliber, then it should be disclosed if they watch is ever sold.

I think you did a great thing in combining good parts from several watches to make one runner,
    gatorcpa

Very good points. The parts watch didn't have a case. I do think using the dial and hands from it changes the status to franken. Thanks for the pic.

I think you have made a fine watch, and like someone else said its your own personalized fun watch.

You did well. Congrats
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

The cal 351 is one of my most favorite movements...

...that I don't own. Someday.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information