Omega and Brandt 23 Jewels
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Schlef
  • 2 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Omega and Brandt 23 Jewels

Omega and Brandt 23 Jewels

All,

I got this watch via my grandfather. The movement appears to be the same as here:

This watch is in working order and seems to be doing a pretty good job at time keeping. Any idea the rarity or value of such a thing?

I've not found any samples with an Omega face and this movement.

Name:  WatchFace.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  2.04 MBName:  WatchBack.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  2.60 MB

The serial number is 2516469.
    SilkeN, busmatt and thoth like this.

Re: Omega and Brandt 23 Jewels

I don't have enough posts to link. But it is this one after watchuseek.com f11/help-identifying-how-fix-brandt-frere-4784787.html

Are those photos of your actual watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes. Sorry, not great exposure.

Beautiful movement, I don't have anything to add about the history.

I guess it's possible that this watch was made near the transition from L Brandt & Freres to Omega, and they had some leftover movements. Or more likely the original dial was damaged and replaced later on.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    I guess it's possible that this watch was made near the transition from L Brandt & Freres to Omega, and they had some leftover movements. Or more likely the original dial was damaged and replaced later on.
    The more research I do, the more I think this to be the case. It seems that the "Swiss Made" was not added until the 1940s. Based on the serial number of the watch, and the serial number of the Regina case, the watch originated sometime in the first decade of the 1900s.

I suspect the hands might have been changed as well. So now I need to find out what face and hands configuration could have gone with this pocket watch to restore it to its original state.

Fortunately, this watch doesn't have sentimental value due to the way it was acquired.. my grandfather never used it. I'd rather just restore it to the correct period.

When Omega would sell a movement like this, was the purchaser given a selection of faces? How would I go about determining a matching face and hands for this movement?

This is perplexing.. scroll down half way:

chronocentric.com/forums/omega/ [REMOVE THIS SPACE] index.cgi?md=read;id=56035

The author claims that his serial, 2524983, is right about when the name Omega started to be used. My movement is serial 2516469. His face also says Swiss Made. Is it possible that mine fell into the gap when they were changing their name, such that my movement is L. Brandt and the face is Omega? Also, the hands on mine are very similar to the ones in the linked post. I'll have to reach out to him.

Research is good, and perhaps you will sort this out. But either way, you might consider enjoying the watch the way it is instead of trying to make it period-correct based on research. Either the dial/hands are original, or they were installed as part of the normal life of the watch. Restoring the watch is not going to change the value very much, and the current condition of the watch reflects its history and is authentic in a way.
    Last edited by Dan S; July 24th, 2019 at 14:18.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Schlef...Hello!

I suggest that you check the NAWCC's site...there were a number of Posts on these Brandt's, and I expect that you'll find out quite a bit about this watch.

As I recall,a number of these were used on Canadian railroads...they certainly would give a fine account of themselves!

I also recall that the enamel dials were signed Brandt...although, I am not certain...and, that these showed up in 19 and 21 Jewels.

Your movement looks very clean & original, although I reckon that the dial is not Original. Parts for one of these will be very challenging to find, but--with a bit of luck and some work--I would expect that a dial may be found.

Quite an Exceptional watch...a Find. Once it's Serviced, I'd expect it to run to within +/- 5 Seconds per day...and, that's as good as they got!

Enjoy. Michael.
    Dan S and thoth like this.

Thread Information