• 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By AudaxPT
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By AudaxPT
  • 1 Post By AudaxPT

Thread: Omega - cal. 266 - "Spider Lugs"? - Help ID

Omega - cal. 266 - "Spider Lugs"? - Help ID

Hello all,

a good friend gave me this Omega watch to add to my collection, would like to ask for any help about the watch itself.

So far I know, from serial number, it should be from 1952/53, has cal. 266 in good shape and working well. THe case is some very nice "spider lugs" (I believe that is how they are called, right?) and a black dial. Omega crown, but no swiss made on the dial. Can't find it when searching on the Omega vintage watches search.

But let's put some pictures now:

Crystal has some scratches and I can see some thin fibres left inside?!!

Dauphine hands, if I am not mistaken?

Lovely texture!

The black leather strap is new, but the buckle seems to be older, could it be the original? Though it is not a signed Omega buckle? Or it is just an older buckle?:

Now the case back:

ANd finally the movement picture (one of the case screws is missing/broken?):

So what do you gentlemen think? Totally original, maybe an old redial? Any more info, cause I can't find it on the Omega vintage search:

Thank You!!
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Omega - cal. 266 - "Spider Lugs"? - Help ID

I don't think it's a redial. It's in a nice condition, though it could use a crystal polishing....

If you type in "266" into the Omega vintage watch database, one of the results is this:
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
    It's a ref.no. CK 2605, with the same case design, same calibre, same hands, though a bit different dial. I think your watch might be simply another dial version of this model.
    It's listed as a part of the 1950 collection, so the age as you have estimated it would be right.
    AudaxPT likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you mkws!! I also believe that it is not a redial and it is all original, but always better to ask first. Mostly because of the black dial, which seems to be a bit less frequent for that era of the 1950´s to have black dials.

I came across that CK 2605 also, and indeed just the dial is different and i love the case design, quite elegant.

I will, as soon as I can, send it to my watchmaker for a service and a crystal polish! No polish for the case!
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The case is in a good condition indeed. Matches the one the dial's in. Looks like this watch has been looked after!

It's a really elegant watch, with a clean and simple 1950s design. Good to wear to a suit (and anything else as well).

One more thing- the buckle is not original. Throughout about 65 years of use, the strap has been changed more than a few times, I guess- and I'd be surprised if the same buckle would be replaced onto every new strap. Some people do care about that, some don't.
    busmatt and AudaxPT like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Yes I thought as much, the buckle is not original, but I quite like it.

The watch was well looked after, it belonged to my friend´s father in law, who unfortunatly passed away one year ago. My friend gave it to me because he does not wear it because reminds him too much of he´s father in law that he was so close to :(. Knowing my passion for watches and my little collection, he gave it to me so i could continue to take good care of it. Will allways be in my collection, another watch with a story!!
    mkws likes this.

So I already have it back from the watchmaker, but only now had the oportunity to post some pictures:

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  Omega 1.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  865.7 KB

Name:  Omega 2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  802.3 KB

Name:  OMega 3.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  840.3 KB

A fine looking Omega, really like it a lot!!

A new bezel, that actually fits the watch (the one it had it was too small) specially made for it, a new glass (low profile, also specially made for it) and a light polish (that wasn´t asked for, but the guys that did the bezel did it anyway however, fortunately they actually did a good job and not over polished the case).
    Last edited by AudaxPT; October 9th, 2015 at 20:39.
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information