Omega Cal 342 broken stem...is this easy?

Thread: Omega Cal 342 broken stem...is this easy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Cal 342 broken stem...is this easy?

Okay pcs first of this bumper I picked up last week for a very good price:

Now-even though I got it for a great price the watch was decribed as "In good running order..." I even asked seller how it ran and he said it ran well. So I get it and I see that after a few bumps it starts up. Fine. I go to set the time and the crown and stem fall out in my hand. I examine and think its obviously too short and looks broken under loupe. Even when its seated it can't extend far enough to set the time. period. So I wrote seller asking for 1 of 2 resolutions. Either I send the watch back for full refund and he can relist or he pays for a new stem which I estimated at $50. I havnt heard back but I actually found a cal 343 stem for $47 and wrote seller again.

My question is two-fold.
    1-Is this fair for me to ask seller to reimburse me the cost of the broken stem that was NOT mentioned and to describe a watch as 'in good running order' when the time can't be set or changed? (in fairness-the 342 is running pretty well -just not the correct time. I also wrote that I "naturally expected to pay to have this watch cleaned and reg'd. and i'm willing to cover the additional cost of repairing the stem if you cover the cost of the new stem part. Thank you" etc.etc....

2-if he does agree to refund $47 for the stem I found is (based on the pic) it a fairly straight forward job? One I could easily do myself with tools? I have taken out many crown stems before but don't remember removing the crown form the stem. Wondering if they are often 'stuck' or hard to remove. In other words-if he goes for the refund should I attempt or have it done? To me it seems like once the stem is attached to crown-the stem is inserted fully and the set screw is tightened enough to secure.Presto! Am I wrong?

3-thanks. I may double post in the omega
    Last edited by DaBaeker; December 14th, 2010 at 02:07.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: Omega Cal 342 broken stem...is this easy?

It shouldn't cost that much for a 2 part stem. Which part is broken, the male or female? Is the male part there - I can't see enough detail in your photos. Swapping is a matter of minutes work. Can you do a macro photo of both ends? Are you sure it is properly clipped together?

P.S. if I were the seller I would just want you to send the watch back and check it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    It shouldn't cost that much for a 2 part stem. Which part is broken, the male or female? Is the male part there - I can't see enough detail in your photos. Swapping is a matter of minutes work. Can you do a macro photo of both ends? Are you sure it is properly clipped together?

P.S. if I were the seller I would just want you to send the watch back and check it out myself.

A-I found a stem from Frei for under $15. Pic above is exactly what falls out of watch. Im not even sure if this is the correct stem but the end opposite the crown looks to have been sheared shorter than it should be. when placed in the crown stem it only extends to right at the set screw when seated and therefore I don't believe it extends into the movemnt far enough to engage hands

B-The whole stem falls out of the watch with crown still attached. I believe the end that inserts into the movemnt and engages the winder and hands is broken and I'm not positive yet if the broken off bit is still in the watch. I'm not going to mess with it until the seller answers. If they want it back, I'm fine with that.

C-It was a fair price-not high, not low. Around $200. I wrote the seller again and asked for a $15 instead of the high $47 credit for the stem or I can send it back. Its NOT a good idea to look on ebay for watch stems! But I suppose I'm still taking a chance there is some reason the

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm, that is a one part stem broken where the detent goes. I am no good with fuzzy photos. I have just checked mine, looks like you have about 5mm still in the works of the watch.

$15 is much more reasonable.

The question I have is, why did it break.

Are teeth jammed/broken in the winding gear, is something seized? This is not usually a place you will find much reason for force, other than manhandling by a user.

Actually, unless you can get your watchmaker to look at it, I would send it back. There may be nothing much wrong, but there may also be a whole host of troubles. It worries me.

P.S. the only problem with the set screw is not undoing it to much so the setting lever falls off the thread. Also, if it has snapped, you will most likely have to dismantle the winding mechanism to remove the broken parts.
    Last edited by trim; December 14th, 2010 at 04:03.

Here is a photo of a 340-1106 stem of mine, you can see where yours is broken - and the part that is unaccounted for.

P.S. this cannot have broken in transit, and the seller must have surely been aware of this.
    Last edited by trim; December 14th, 2010 at 04:20.

Here is a photo of a 340-1106 stem of mine, you can see where yours is broken - and the part that is unaccounted for.

P.S. this cannot have broken in transit, and the seller must have surely been aware of this.
    Thank you. Exactly the info I needed. Now I'm sure the stem is broken but I'm not sure the piece is still in side. I do knw now that the screw cant be unthreaded too much w/o dropping the lever. I'll release it half turn press on the detent and see if anything falls out. If I can slip the new stem in I guess I'm good to go. I'll see what sellers attitude is as I may even want to send it back for refund. At $220-its only a fair price. Not too high but not that low either. I agree seller should have at least described as "running well but needs service" Thanks
    Last edited by DaBaeker; December 14th, 2010 at 06:16.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    Now I'm sure the stem is broken but I'm not sure the piece is still in side.
    The setting lever detent would retain the broken bit inside, unless someone has been in there and messed about with it.

The setting lever detent would retain the broken bit inside, unless someone has been in there and messed about with it.
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to assume since the crown is probably not original that somebody either stuck the rounded crown with stem in there thinking it wasnt broken- or- they were in there trying for a quik fix. I can see that someone has been at the set screw. Movemnt is doing well and keeping ok time so my biggest chance with keeping it will be the sleeve is obstructed and hands can't be set, which I don't think it is. I'll make sure there is no piece in there 1st before I attempt though. Still havnt heard from seller.

..since the crown is probably not original...
    It certainly is the wrong crown. Yours is a CK2657? In which case you should have the Seamaster crown with the 4 grooves.

You really ought to have the dial removed to check the setting works - this is what a loose stem can do (A Omega 264/30T4 of mine)...

Probably not, but it is sensible to be make sure. As I said, I don't know why your stem would break there. Such a thing is repairable, but is getting costly unless you can do it yourself.

Still havnt heard from seller.
    Last edited by trim; December 14th, 2010 at 20:41.

Chances are that the broken piece will not simply fall out. To remove it, you will have to disassemble the watch from the dial side to get at the keyless works. At this point, it would be a good idea to get the watch serviced while you're at it. Then it will be clean, lubricated, and regulated, with a new stem. As I've posted elsewhere, the statement that the watch is in running order, good or otherwise, is worthless. Unless the seller is a watchmaker who can attest to the service of the watch, even a well running watch can hide a case full of horrors. Even sellers with good ratings can have no idea what the history of their piece is, or how to properly assess its performance. Sometimes the watches are what they are purported to be, and are serviced and can be used with confidence. Sometimes not. You'll have to pardon my cynicism, I've seen some awful things lately......this is not one of them. It is a quick and easy fix, and if you like the watch, I would recommend keeping it, but get a watchmaker to have a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information