• 1 Post By journeyforce
  • 3 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By Verdi
  • 2 Post By bsshog40

Thread: Omega cal 601-does it look ok?

Omega cal 601-does it look ok?

Hi gents,

Tempted to get this puppy. I would like an opinion on dial and anything else if possible.
    redialed? Seller says no.
    movement ok?
    case seems ok, not overpolished.

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Verdi; October 30th, 2016 at 16:27.

Re: Omega cal 601-does it look ok?

Hello,

The Omega Cal. 601 is a great movement. This one looks original and clean. The dial and hands don't have any lume which corresponds to it only saying Swiss made without a T for lume. The hands all look like they fit that dial length wise(some of these watches have replaced hands that were too short) The dial looks good with everything in good shape, The word Omega, the logo and Geneve are all centered correctly. The word Geneve is the correct font. If the dial is redone it is well done.

The crown might not be original but looks good (Unlike the Omega Forum.net snobs with their "everything must be original before you can even post a pic on this forum" mentality , I know a crown is a wear item and gold plated ones wear out easy.)
    busmatt likes this.

The movement and dial are OK. The case is, IMO, a fake. First of all, why a case made in Italy? Omega had watches locally cased in the US (as many others, due to idiotic tariffs, they had to get cases from local manufacturers) and the UK (cases by Dennison). But Italy? The Omega stamp looks shoddy, and the last thing these hallmarks could ever inspire is confidence. The reference number is incorrect, no idea why would it be 131.00001. There was a ref 131.001, which looked completely different. So IMO it's a bogus case.
    badbackdan, bobbee and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I can't find a triangle stamp with anything other than the Omega logo followed by "Omega Watch Co." in it.
    mkws and busmatt like this.

Thanks for your replies. I was also surprised to see that "made in italy" stamp.
    I'm gonna try find out more about these cases. If anyone has more info/opinions pls do shere them.
    busmatt likes this.

Perhaps only the caseback is fake

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Perhaps only the caseback is fake
    Perhaps, but that's where all the hallmarks are located- so normally it would be a 50/50 chance, but with fake markings, I say 99/1 that the case is fake. Why counterfeit a damaged part, when you can order a spare? Especially that having one made + the cost of the material would probably sum up to way above the price of a new case back from Omega...

Especially that the watch is allegedly gold, and it's most likely being sold for a price of a gold watch, taking that risk would be a bad idea - with questionable markings, the whole thing could as well be tombac or another gold-ish alloy. To me, that case is not even a "walk away", it's more of a "run like hell!"
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Now mine is mainly an early 70's caseback, but here are the omega stamps on it for reference.

Name:  IMG_2374.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  900.8 KB
    Verdi and busmatt like this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Hello...I'd look for another watch...the movement is OK, but the case back is not...to my mind, another Omega--with no issues-- would be much better. And: I will never 'understand' why anyone would try to sell something as Original, unless they (it?) KNEW it was original! Michael.

Thread Information