Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonhao
  • 4 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 2 Post By Dan S

Thread: Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member Tonhao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,471

    Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    I have a “C” Constellation with 751 movement and it has the date slightly higher than the day:



    You can still read it just fine, but this watch happens to have an original magnifier crystal and so the flaw is magnified, making it stand out. It’s most noticeable when “FRI / 10” where I and 1 clearly doesn’t match up.

    I’ve shown it to a watchmaker and he says he doesn’t want to touch the calendar mechanism and I should just leave the vintage watch alone, but to me it does stick out and I would try if it could be fixed without disturbing the mechanism too much. I mean, a lot of “problems” we share here do not interfere with the watch’s function, but I feel that once you notice it, small flaws don’t feel small anymore, especially when the rest of the watch is in pretty good condition.

    If you’re familiar with the 751 movement (chronometer, pull-out quickset date) would you attempt to remedy the date, or is it best left alone because of the risks?
    busmatt likes this.

  2. #2
    Member Border-Reiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,086

    Re: Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    Similar discussion in 2013 (although connected to a different problem), perhaps this helps:

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/da...al-914102.html

  3. #3
    Member Tonhao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Similar discussion in 2013 (although connected to a different problem), perhaps this helps:

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/da...al-914102.html
    Day and date changes occur normally. One watchmaker I took the 751 to said that the gears that click the date into position erode over time, resulting in a off-center date. So according to him there’s not much that can be done... but I wonder if minute adjustments to the wheel are possible (and reasonable)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wegberg, Germany
    Posts
    3,727

    Re: Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    Hi there,

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonhao View Post
    So according to him there’s not much that can be done... but I wonder if minute adjustments to the wheel are possible (and reasonable)
    In many movements the riveted star can be turned in relation to the disk with moderate force. But I just looked at a sample in my material box, and unfortunately Omega used a riveting tool that prevents this adjustment. So I've no clue what happens if you force the junction between both loose.The alternative would be to modify the day jumper by grinding off a bit on one side, but this is of course a permanent deviation from the original shape.

    So finally there are some options, but honestly, I'd prefer to live with this tiny imperfection, and do nothing.

    Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Tirete, Tonhao, busmatt and 1 others like this.

  6. #5
    Member Tonhao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,471

    Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,


    In many movements the riveted star can be turned in relation to the disk with moderate force. But I just looked at a sample in my material box, and unfortunately Omega used a riveting tool that prevents this adjustment. So I've no clue what happens if you force the junction between both loose.The alternative would be to modify the day jumper by grinding off a bit on one side, but this is of course a permanent deviation from the original shape.

    So finally there are some options, but honestly, I'd prefer to live with this tiny imperfection, and do nothing.

    Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Thanks for your honest input. I would of course prefer the imperfection to a surgery that you describe.

    Since the offset is consistent across the wheel, could it be that the wheel itself is either mismatched or faulty?

    I might also switch out the magnifier crystal to a non-magnifying crystal, which looks better in my opinion and hides the imperfection somewhat.

  7. #6
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Omega Constellation Day Date Alignment

    My suggestion, and this is serious, is that you sell the watch and buy a non-date version.
    busmatt and georges zaslavsky like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: Omega Constellation Day-Date - 18kt solid gold (case & bracelet)
      By ppaulusz in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: June 9th, 2010, 15:56
    2. FS: Omega Constellation Day-Date - 18kt solid gold (case & bracelet)
      By ppaulusz in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 10th, 2010, 19:51
    3. FS: Omega Constellation Day-Date - 18kt solid gold (case & bracelet)
      By ppaulusz in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 18:10
    4. FS: Omega Constellation Day-Date - 18kt solid gold (case & bracelet)
      By ppaulusz in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: January 19th, 2010, 23:15
    5. Vintage 1960s Omega Constellation Day Date Chronometer Certified
      By magoonyc in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: October 24th, 2008, 08:14

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •