Omega Constellation questions
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Omega Constellation questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Constellation questions

Hey all,
    I picked up this Connie, and I'm scratching my head. I don't know if this is a redial, or some sort of variation, I cannot find any with the printing on the bottom, nor can I find one with "Constellation" in block font or with an inverted gold star. Just thought someone might have some insight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re: Omega Constellation questions

I'm gonna say redial, given the lack of crispness in the smaller text on the dial.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

And unless it's just the angle of the photo, isn't Omega not in a straight line with Automatic?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

:( Very odd redial
    Chaos is my focus

Min marks are sloppy and yes Automatic and Omega are not level. The star at 6 is not properly aligned with the 6 hour marker or the 30 min mark.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    :( Very odd redial
    Indeed, and I can't understand why anyone can consider that a dial of that sort can originally happen to a watch of decent quality.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks all. I have two of these 501's now, and both need dial restoration/replacement now! Funny thing...both that I have came from the same estate. If anybody comes across a decent dial or two, let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

yup. at this point with my experience using a couple of redialers with unsatisfactory results I would just as soon source a NOS or nicely aged dial thats all original rather then diking around with trying to get a certain vintage font exactly correct. Its a very difficult job. Moreno then I thought and on the only watch I have now that I will probably redial-I expect to pay a hefty premium -if for nothing else-for rights to complain and have it done exact. But this is my old '37 VC. My Omegas-if they needed a dial-I'd try for vintage. Good luckt
    Datreedude and busmatt like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Details
    Case and movement genuine, the dial is atrocious. Not "odd". Horrible. Not even that it's not that bad. It is that bad. I've seen Bombay Specials nicer than this dial...
    But if you will be able to find a NOS dial (maybe ask your watchmaker if he knows of any stock of dials for these 1950s Connies), this will be a really decent watch.
    A second redial... Well, can improve it- if a pro restorer does it, it can't be worse than it is now. The trouble with these watches is that in a Connie a lot of things can go wrong, and that especially applies to the font used for the inscriptions.
    That's how the watch should look:
    Name:  4661d.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  406.4 KB
    Pic stolen from the Internets. That's a solid gold version, but the same base reference no.

What you have, is all the certified chronometer claptrap printed at the bottom of the dial instead of between 12 o'clock and the centre. And the star is turned upside down- I think we should call this redialling error "The Devil's Connie".

Really, 1950s Connies are great watches, and I think that if you intend to wear it, it's worth it to bring it back to a decent condition.
    Last edited by mkws; December 12th, 2015 at 03:34.
    DaBaeker and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Datreedude View Post
    Thanks all. I have two of these 501's now, and both need dial restoration/replacement now! Funny thing...both that I have came from the same estate. If anybody comes across a decent dial or two, let me know!
    These dials had some built-in problems with the lacquer used as a sealant. Very few survive in original condition.

A replacement dial in good condition sells for more than a whole watch with a dial in slightly poorer condition. They are that hard to find.
    gatorcpa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information