Omega Geneve.....alternatives?

Thread: Omega Geneve.....alternatives?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Geneve.....alternatives?

Hello everybody!

Iam not new to watches, but new to vintages....that's why I need you help!

I fell in love with this omega Geneve

(source: http://uhrforum.de/bisschen-exitwatc...50070-a-t52180)

and Iam now looking for this watch OR similar alternatives.
    Could you help me with some indications which manufacturer (and model name) produced similar watches to this one? Important: It should also have a silver dial.
    Thanks!

Re: Omega Geneve.....alternatives?

Why not look for the original They are fairly common, and not at all expensive.
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Yep, go for that one if it's the one you like, then you can see what else is available at a later date

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anyways, there is about a zillion nice looking alternatives, but an Omega probably offers the best value.

Some examples:

(Eterna KonTiki, in this case with manual wind)

Gruen Precision, Automatic

Nivada Antarctic, Chronometer, Automatic

Tissot Seastar / PR 516, Automatic

Thanks Guys!

What do you think.....what price range is realistic for a really good one.

I think You are not asking for a valuation, so I can probably try to answer.

There are various Omega models in question. A "really" good one (I am talking about the condition of the watch, not the model) will probably cost around 200 USD plus.
    A chronometer (e.g. from Omege Constellation series) will cost You 500 USD plus in decent condition. However, often a service is required. Add another 100 - 200 USD for that.

Now I don't know Your personality, and I have no clue about Your funds. It would be smartest, if You
    - keep on looking into this forum, look at the different vintage watches posted here and try to find out what You really like. E.g. the Gruen - I only paid 20 USD for that one. It runs in chronometer precision, thus really deserves its name, and I haven't even had it serviced.
    - look up the models You like at ebay (or in google, You will often find other offers), not to buy, but to gain an understanding on price and condition
    - there is no (!!!) offer anywhere, that can't be beaten. "Once-in-a-lifetime occasions do exist, but You will hardly be able to recognize them

Or do it like me (and many others), just buy what You like and accept this as a hobby , but don't expect any financial return :oops:, and be prepared for the occasional disappointment .

Unfortunately the price of vintage Omegas has gone up considerably in the last few years, add in the cost of a service and you're talking big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post

There are various Omega models in question. A "really" good one (I am talking about the condition of the watch, not the model) will probably cost around 200 USD plus.
    A chronometer (e.g. from Omege Constellation series) will cost You 500 USD plus in decent condition. However, often a service is required. Add another 100 - 200 USD for that.

Now I don't know Your personality, and I have no clue about Your funds. It would be smartest, if You
    - keep on looking into this forum, look at the different vintage watches posted here and try to find out what You really like. E.g. the Gruen - I only paid 20 USD for that one. It runs in chronometer precision, thus really deserves its name, and I haven't even had it serviced.
    - look up the models You like at ebay (or in google, You will often find other offers), not to buy, but to gain an understanding on price and condition
    - there is no (!!!) offer anywhere, that can't be beaten. "Once-in-a-lifetime occasions do exist, but You will hardly be able to recognize them

Or do it like me (and many others), just buy what You like and accept this as a hobby , but don't expect any financial return :oops:, and be prepared for the occasional disappointment .

1. Thanks for your thoughts and experience on this....I agree with you, much has to be learnt in advance in order to be capable of ascertaining "bargains" from normal deals. And you are also right that it is a hobby. I have had around 10 watches, five I still have. Some were bargains, some weren't.....that's how it goes....

2. As you wrote about multiple models of Omega....how could I ascertain their differences. I really like the one on the picture above, but often the ones I saw on the web have "thicker" hour markers whit which the watch looses some of its elegance....

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Watch_ME; September 18th, 2010 at 10:34.

Well, I am not an Omega collector, I only have a single Omega Constellation. I am looking for Omegas from time to time, but haven't found one yet, that could beat this particular Connie, so I was not tempted to buy another one. In any case, markers and hands of the different models vary, but likely will be similar in similar or close years of production, that's at least what I think to have observed. So if You like the slender ones (I do totally agree), there is no special model to look for in my eyes, rather a period (early 60ies? not sure about it). And it could turn out to be a DeVille, a Constellation or like above a "Omega Geneve", or even a Seamaster (not all are bulky diver-style).

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post

A chronometer in good condition will cost you much more than $500. A decent Omega that shows a lot of wear will run you around $200. Vintage Omega's run anywhere from $200 up to and above $1000 depending on the condition. I saw an Omega Constellation calibre 561 sold for $1,200 last night.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information