Omega Geneve (Italics) Automatic
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omega Geneve (Italics) Automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Geneve (Italics) Automatic

Hello, I have recently started the rather expensive hobby of collecting watches. I recently purchased an Omega "Geneve" for £150, but I am struggling to find information on it's history, date of manufacture, provenance etc. The dealer was not much use either unfortunately. I have been told, however, that the italicized word "Geneve" means that it is one of the original Geneve's produced by Omega in the 1950's or 1960's. That is all I know about it.

Photo of watch attached. Not in mint condition, and the strap is new but the watch seems to keep perfect time after all these years.

Does anyone know much more about this watch? Any info would be very much appreciated.
    Name:  Winchester-20111220-00084.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  259.3 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Omega Geneve (Italics) Automatic

You will want the serial numbers from inside the case if you want the definitive information and to confirm that it is still in its original condition. Photos help here a lot.

Very nice looking vintage omega!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you very much for your reply. I am so new to this that i dont know how to unscrew the back. Will go to a watch shop. Thanks again!

It is true that the script generally denotes the earlier generation of the Genève models. However, it is the manual wind versions that are the most sought after by collectors, as they were produced beginning in the early '50s, and were marketed (with their outstanding 30mm movements) as one of Omegas highest end models.

That being said, the automatics are also nice, and if your movement is in good condition, then you certainly obtained a nice watch for the money.

Cheers,

Tony C,

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I just got passed down this Omega and I have no idea about if it is original or not. Any ideas?? All I know is that it's 18k pink gold and has a cal. 268 movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

One would need to see far more detail (front closer up, back, insides.....) to be sure. If you were passed it down from a "reputable source" and you know that it has a Cal. 268, there is a high chance that it is all original, though.

Hartmut Richter

Genève is not equal to Genève, to begin with. In the Fifties and early Sixties, "Genève" denoted a watch manufactured within the Geneva city limits, so they were quite exclusive. In the late Sixties and later, however, "Genève" became the "Budget" line of watches in the Omega range - for instance, the movements they were equipped with, were those that had been used in Seamasters for three to five years aleady. Also, the designers were given more of a free hand on these, so vivid colors and eye-catching case shapes are no unusual features, either.

Your watch seems to be from the late Fifties, early Sixties, so in all likelihood has been actually built at Geneva. Did you try to look it up in the Omega Vintage Database yet?
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Shangstar View Post
    Hello, I have recently started the rather expensive hobby of collecting watches. I recently purchased an Omega "Geneve" for £150, but I am struggling to find information on it's history, date of manufacture, provenance etc. The dealer was not much use either unfortunately. I have been told, however, that the italicized word "Geneve" means that it is one of the original Geneve's produced by Omega in the 1950's or 1960's. That is all I know about it.

Photo of watch attached. Not in mint condition, and the strap is new but the watch seems to keep perfect time after all these years.

Does anyone know much more about this watch? Any info would be very much appreciated.
    Name:  Winchester-20111220-00084.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  259.3 KB
    Going to the OVDB I found this. It looks pretty similar. I have a vintage Seamaster with the same movement. Very nice classic piece. Enjoy it.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

great watch
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast