• 3 Post By Dan S
  • 3 Post By watchersam
  • 5 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By watchersam
  • 3 Post By journeyforce
  • 5 Post By watchersam

Thread: Omega mismatch?

Omega mismatch?

I just purchased this Omega. With my limited noob knowledge I think it may be not so original as the serial number puts the movement in the late 80's (I think) while the dial and case looks a little earlier to me.
    Plus the gold hands and markers in a steel case has me thinking it may be re-cased.

Overall I am happy with what I paid, and I think a new cyrstal, a little clean, and a nice band will make a huge improvement.

Name:  s-l1600 (54).jpg
Views: 75
Size:  216.9 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (55).jpg
Views: 79
Size:  228.4 KB

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Re: Omega mismatch?

Serial number dates the movement to ca 1962.

I don't recommend Omega for the reason that they get used and abused then sold on and same thing again and again.

Check the inside of the case back then search the reference number you find there and see if you can find how the watch should look like.

Name:  0029.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  293.5 KB
    Here is a Seamaster from 1963 I restored 2 days ago and it turnd out rather nice.
    Last edited by Shum; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:55.

Yes, early 1960s Seamaster, rough condition but I'm not seeing any major red flags at first glance. It's not really unusual to have gold hands and dial furniture in a SS case. Please post photos of the inside of the caseback, which will give the reference number of the watch. That's a really key piece of information.

The dial is in rough shape, and most of the lume dots appear to be gone from the outer ends of the applied markers (assuming they were there to begin with). The case is also rough. I'm not sure about the crown, more photos are needed.
    Last edited by Dan S; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:47.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Shum. Your seamaster looks great and makes me feel better about mine, although it will never look as good.
    Not sure how i messed up the serial number dating, still on a learning curve with all this.

This is the rear case. The 62 matches i believe.
    Name:  s-l1600 (56).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  263.5 KB
    Benjamin Barrera, busmatt and Shum like this.

You do get similar watches when you search the reference number so only the crown and crystal needs to be sourced. I do believe the crown is one of the harder ones to find so a similar one would do just fine and don't bother with a original crystal as they cost $40-50.

I'm no Omega expert though and only fix watches and don't care that much with everything being totally original.

Here is a Seamaster 600 I'm working on now and just a polished crystal can turn a watch from gabage to a winner.
    Name:  0030.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  330.5 KB
    Looks really nad.

Name:  0031.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  279.9 KB
    15 minutes with Polywatch and it's starting to look really good. Some more polishing round the edges and it will almost look new.

Now you need a new crystal but even a bad dial will shine up with a shiny crystal..

A good thing with your movement is that all the screws look in good order so no one with thumbs for fingers has been at it, the rotor has some marks and has also left marks on the edge of the movement so it needs to be checked.
    Last edited by Shum; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by watchersam View Post
    Thanks Shum. Your seamaster looks great and makes me feel better about mine, although it will never look as good.
    Not sure how i messed up the serial number dating, still on a learning curve with all this.

This is the rear case. The 62 matches i believe.
    Name:  s-l1600 (56).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  263.5 KB
    For some reason, that case back number looks rough, especially the 14701. I'm no expert, but that caught my eye. You may want to look into it more, or someone here who knows can confirm it.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thanks for the replies, yeah the case numbers do look rough.
    Shum, I will give the watch to my watchmaker for a new cyrstal and possible service etc...
    Looking close at the pics of my watch (still waiting for it in the mail) I think most of the roughness is in the cyrstal and the dial may not be too bad, and I dont mind a little patina.

I will post some pics when i get her done.
    Shum likes this.

You are also going to need a new rotor axle and a rotor bushing

The rotor shows signs of rubbing the case back (look just above the Omega wording on the rotor and at the center of the case back(there is a faint circle)

Rotor axles and bushings tend to go bad on the Cal 5xx series (especially if it was dropped)

Here she is after a slight refurb and new strap.
    Name:  20190717_124536.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  1.43 MB

Thread Information