Omega Pocket Watch
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By saxoo
  • 1 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Omega Pocket Watch

Omega Pocket Watch

Hello. Opinions welcome------is this Omega pocketwatch worth dropping $150 on? Anything visibly wrong with it? Model, etc? Will try to get more pics, but the gentleman selling it is, in my opinion, without reproach. Thanks.
    MikeName:  00X0X_4uBbEt0OnGv_600x450.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  18.4 KB

Re: Omega Pocket Watch

Without seeing the movement I'd be very leary.

Hi,

When question starts with "is it worth" then answer is NO :)
    On the other side it is very wearable because it has no enamel and is not huge, tiny and cute I would say. I would personally "drop" $150 unless movement is in a bad condition
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a couple of Omega pocket watches, same age approx.

Anything visibly wrong with it? Well, there is a single picture from the front and assuming it's a genuine Omega:

Are the hands moving (might be a stupid question, but based on the info we have so far, even that is not sure)? Can it be wound up and set? How long is it running after being fully wound up? Is it on time or gaining/loosing? If it's offered on a sales platform, how it is described? If it's offered privately, what did the seller say and, if he is without reproach, it would give a better indication about the condition of the watch. Is there anything more you can tell us? I cannot imagine that the seller has given you nothing else but this picture.

Besides a picture of the back, one should really see the movement to say more.

Assuming it's in good condition, 150 Dollars for the type of Omega I think it is, seems about right, but certainly not the bargain of the century.

I personally, would not drop 10 Dollars on it, if all I have is that picture and the impression of a good reputation of the seller, although I might miss an opportunity.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 1st, 2015 at 18:21.
    busmatt and tinknocker like this.

Looks very nice to me, the dial is very Art Decoish, I think if you like the watch it is a fair price assuming the movement is in reasonable condition.
    Maybe you should try and get the seller to show you the movement.

Nice piece,very classy design, show us some more pics if you take it....
    P.S. I would go for it if the above mentioned factors are right,you don't see these too often.....

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.
    Scientia potentia est

If the condition inside is the same as outside I would grab it immediately, if I like it. The main question is: Do you like the watch or does it match with your collection. As Saxoo says: These art deco peaces you don't see very often, because they have been build next with wrist watches who begin their triumphal march. If you search for a simular peace in this condition it could be a long ride and the price could be much higher. Usually this young watches are not "collector peaces" of hardcore pocket watch collectors but their style is wonderful and they are quite rare in this condition.

Kind regards Silke
    saxoo likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    If the condition inside is the same as outside I would grab it immediately, if I like it. The main question is: Do you like the watch or does it match with your collection. As Saxoo says: These art deco peaces you don't see very often, because they have been build next with wrist watches who begin their triumphal march. If you search for a simular peace in this condition it could be a long ride and the price could be much higher. Usually this young watches are not "collector peaces" of hardcore pocket watch collectors but their style is wonderful and they are quite rare in this condition.

Kind regards Silke
    Hi Silke, all agreed, but that doesn't solve the main question. What if you open the watch and you find a wreck of a movement, with parts missing or broken? You must have some kind of a statement of the seller at least concerning its functioning and only a picture of the movement can help the experts here to say something more. What if everything is fine and you find out its a Franken? 150 Dollars for a nice dial (based on THAT image, it's even hard to tell it's original)? Whatever comment you read here it's always if..., if..., if... and if... in nice condition, we all agree that it's worth the money. So far, we don't even know if the hands are moving.

I gess a seller will alwys tell you if the wtch is a runner or a non- runner therefore we've to wait for the thread starter . These cases are sometimes terrible oysters but until now I've not seen franken out of this area by serious sellers because they are usually just second hand but of course everything is possible.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Hi Silke.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    I gess a seller will alwys tell you if the wtch is a runner or a non- runner
    I can't repeat often enough my examples for a no-runner
    Ranfft Watches, Troubles
    and a well-runner
    Ranfft Watches, Troubles

Buying watches only to fill gaps in my movement archive is already reason enough to insist on movement pics. Accordingly I scarcely buy a watch without movement pic, but if I did, the percentage of such disasters was pretty high (despite 30 years experience).

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information